How hot can these bikes get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
    Hey farmer whats the need for the personal attack?

Just because someone doesnt feel the need to use an additive you attack them and state things that you have no idea about?? Who says that the poster was unemployed? I persoanly work on the coal fields in Australia and earn 100000K per year, but I dont use an additive, so would you call me unemployed too??
    GS750, I do believe GS Farmer was kidding. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
      You appear to be having an emotional relationship with this bike.

If you planned on having an emotional/permanent relationship with it you should first give it a name.

If you didn't plan on having an emotional/permanent relationship with it you should flog the crap out of it until it says: "Bang my gears!! Ride my clutch!! Oh Baby!!"

OR you should have bought a new bike with a warrantee and called the toll free number when it took a ****.

So you actually put it on the center stand and looked for bubbles in the sight glass? Wow!!

The last time I saw "Bubbles" she was giving me a lap dance after I rode my old bike all afternoon, parked it on the hot asphalt with a woody underneath the kickstand to keep it up. Keeping it up is a real problem with old things.

Relax. You all ready know how to rebuild the thing. That's way more than I know. I only know how to smile:-D
      Bubbles!! Thats a good name for his bike!!! LOL!!!!!

Comment

LMAO...........So many times I have cringed at exactly those notations, but let the opportunity pass. hehehehe

Earl

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
        It's "you're", not "your". It's "attitude", not "additude". It's "unemployed", not "unenployed".

GS Farmer, your attitude is sunnier than your spelling. Employ it carefully! :-D:-D
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Uhhh no, if you make 100,000 you are making 100K. If you're making 100,000K then you're making 100,000,000. But then, I guess you could be making 100,000,00.00 per year.

Earl :-)

PS. Just for the record, I prefer to run an oil cooler and I dont intend to try to convince anyone why they should or shouldnt. eheh

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
          Hey farmer whats the need for the personal attack?

Just because someone doesnt feel the need to use an additive you attack them and state things that you have no idea about?? Who says that the poster was unemployed? I persoanly work on the coal fields in Australia and earn 100000K per year, but I dont use an additive, so would you call me unemployed too??
          Last edited by earlfor; 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You bike will tell you if it's running hot.If you can ride the crap out of it when it's 95 out,then turn it off and it doesnt tick like a time bomb it's probably ok.When my bike was running lean the pipes would tick like a time bomb after I turned it off.Definitely running too hot! I use suzuki 10 w 40 year round and have had no problems at all.

Comment

Wow... Thanks for all the advice, comments, support, jokes........ Sorry I caused so much trouble with this thread but I have to say I'm glad to see the amount of interest.
              It's not that I'm paranoid about the heat. Many have agreed with you guys that I'm overreacting but the difference is that they had nothing to compare it to. What I'm saying is this. Before I rebuilt this engine, on a cool day, when stopped at a light I would put both hands (leather gloves on) on the heads for a good 5 seconds and then hold them against my cheeks (the ones on my face) to warm up a little. Now I wouldn't go near those heads. I think you can fry an egg on them. Granted it's not the winter but the only time I felt this bike get so unbearably hot was last summer in Virginia, about 95 degrees and stuck in horrible traffic for over an hour. I'm not new to this bike. I've had it about 6 years now and kind of know it's personality.
              You guys make some great points. I'm running NGK plugs, I will recheck the gap. I think I set them to 30. I was concerned about it possibly running lean because I had a hell of a time getting the carbs and airbox on and wondered how well the rubber is sealing. The plugs look fine as far as I know. I little tan on the porclien that's all. Petcock issue..... It's possible. But in 600 miles I've added about 1/3 quart of oil to top it off. If gas was getting in wouldn't the level be going up unless I'm burning a hell of a lot more??? I thought about the temperature sensor also. Sears has one on sale this weekend. I just don't know what numbers to look for. Ie: How hot is too hot?
              Anyway, Thanks for all the help. I'll keep filling you's in. I'll probably keep running with it until it melts away on me. I'm going to change to 20W-50 this weekend. I usually do in the summer anyway.
              Happy Riding. Eddie V

Comment

You guys are all too funny!

I was being a little sarcastic in my weird humor way, so I deserve whatever I get. But I thought Farmer's reply was funny any way you look at it. And thanks GS750 for sticking up for me just the same.

And for the record, I am either unemployed or retired, depending on your point of view. I'm still trying to decide myself, although I'm leaning towards retired since I'm not looking to work. But I can certainly afford to put anything in my bike I desire. In fact, I'm planning on buying a brand new bike, just because I've had such a great time riding since I discovered this site, and got my GS back on the road 10 months ago.

And back on topic, Yes, these bikes can get very hot! I've got the burns to prove it!
                Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Well I changed the oil today. First warmed it up with a 10 mile ride. Let it sit for 15 minutes and dumped it. The oil poured out like water. I've changed oil hot before and it always still flowed out with some viscosity. This literally splashed out like water. It doesn't smell like gas or anything. Is it possible that all the assembly lube mixed in with the oil would cause it. It's the second oil change since the rebuild but the first was done after about 75 miles. Anyway, now it has 20W-50 and I'll see what happens.
                  Thanks again for all the advice.
                  Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                    GS750, I do believe GS Farmer was kidding. :-D
                    As usual, Grandpa is right. Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a firestorm, It was alittle sarcasm addressing sarcasm. Ddog , please accept my apoligy. (That may be spelled wrong, and I just know Gramps is going to nail me)I like many others have learned much from others sharing there wisdom here on this site. Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder, Is this some king of a GS cult??? If it is, it's great, and I love it!!! Hey, have a great day, and ride safe!! P.S And may all your GSes clutch perfectly, shift perfectly, and consume no oil.. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A few responses to this thread

1. I like spelling and punctuation as much as the next guy, but the meaning is what's important here, not the medium.
                      2. I think most of the responses were in fun, as most of the people on this website are pretty friendly and funloving, you just have to realize that a little ribbing is pretty much par for the course here.
                      3. It may be an excellent product, but I for one hear the name Lucas with fear and dread (English bikes and cars. Lucas, the prince of darkness. Why do the English drink their beer at cellar temperature? Refrigeration by Lucas. Etc., etc.).
                      1979 GS 1000

Comment

On a more serious note, I used to ride in MD, and went to the annual airshow at AAFB many years ago. I was stuck in the show traffic for at least 30 minutes, and my GS has no oil cooler. The ENGINE got so hot that I saw smoke rising off of any oil leaks at the valve cover or on the head.

Many years later, when I was replacing the exhaust system, in CO, I had busted one of the header studs, and had to pull the engine out. When I got it all back together, she wouldn't start, so I checked compression, didn't have much. To make this story short, when I pulled the valve cover and head off, I found no signs of that VERY hot day at the airshow. What I did find was carbon all over the rings and in the combustion chamber. So, running the 1979 carbs (non-CV) without rejetting at altitude did more damage than running it hot at near sea level. Now, Suzi is all in pieces for a complete rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                        X