Stanley headlamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stanley headlamp

Does anyone know what different years and models of these bikes have a headlamp similar to mine? I have a 1979 GS550L with the Stanley headlamp. I am having a real hard time finding a replacement for it. I even thought of using a smaller headlamp and making an adapter ring, but that would be pretty crude.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

Can't help with a list of years and models, but I think most of the L models had the smaller chrome lights.

Is your light a sealed beam or does it have a replaceable H4 bulb?

I have one that I removed from an 850L if you are interested. It uses an H4 bulb.

Last edited by Steve; 07-17-2007, 12:04 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Can't help with a list of years and models, but I think most of the L models had the smaller chrome lights.

Is your light a sealed beam or does it have a replaceable H4 bulb?

I have one that I removed from an 850L if you are interested. It uses an H4 bulb.

The one I have uses the H4 bulb. If yours is 6-1/2" in diameter I'd definitly be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
        You should be able to replace that sealed beam unit with a Sylvania #6024 from AutoZone or Advance or NAPA for about eleven or twelve dollars. Bring your old bulb or the headlight ring for comparison to be sure before you buy.
        6024 is just about the right diameter but it doesn't have the metal shell with the mounting ears on it. I looked at mine real close and you can not separate the metal shell from the glass lens to be able to use it with the 6024 style lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarjoe View Post
          The one I have uses the H4 bulb. If yours is 6-1/2" in diameter I'd definitly be interested.
          Depending on just where you measure the 6 1/2", yes, that's what I have.

Send me a PM or an e-mail (click on my name for links to either one) and we'll get you set up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Depending on just where you measure the 6 1/2", yes, that's what I have.

Send me a PM or an e-mail (click on my name for links to either one) and we'll get you set up.

Steve-

E-mail has been sent!

Joe

Comment

OK, Sorry about that mislead, I thought you had the earlier bulb with the non-replaceable inner bulb. You had to buy the entire globe. Doggone thing was pricey, too. Last I heard Stanley no longer makes this bulb and the automotive light could be substituted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                OK, Sorry about that mislead, I thought you had the earlier bulb with the non-replaceable inner bulb. You had to buy the entire globe. Doggone thing was pricey, too. Last I heard Stanley no longer makes this bulb and the automotive light could be substituted for it.
                Your 110% correct about Stanley not making these anymore.

That 6024 is the right diameter (or so it seems anyhow) but I don't have any way to attach it to the housing. Maybe if I busted out the glass from the Stanley lamp I could somehow JB Weld the 6024 in its place. That's kinda crude though.

Comment

Your 110% correct about Stanley not making these anymore.

That 6024 is the right diameter (or so it seems anyhow) but I don't have any way to attach it to the housing. Maybe if I busted out the glass from the Stanley lamp I could somehow JB Weld the 6024 in its place. That's kinda crude though.
                  No, I don't think that is something I'd pursue.

Comment

Bulbs with the H4 spec are manufactured by OSRAM and PHILLIPS to name just two. These are available or can be ordered through most automotive supply stores, bike dealers (especially through their typical aftermarket suppliers) and I've even seen them in some agricultural equipment. Not sure what you mean by "hard to find".

Comment

Working...
                    X