Needle Jet O-Ring Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Jet O-Ring Problem?

So....I've been having a problem with my CV carbs running rich in the jet needle, needle jet, and main jet areas. I just had the carbs off again and found these o-rings around the needle jet to be pretty rough (trashed actually). I assume this could be my problem since I've been through everything else? The needle jet seemed sturdy, and was in place without damage when I went through the carbs, and I assumed it was all OK.....Are these bikes that sensitive?

I guess I'm learning the hard way!

You have o-rings on your needle jets...

Comment

The o-rings should have their greatest effect at low rpm's. You may need to check your float heights. With your bike being rich at all rpm's it has to be something that effects all the ranges. Fuel level in the bowls or timing would be the most logical places to start. Your timing is probably not adjustable without modding the plate the signal generators are mounted to. I'd look at fuel level first.

Comment

Yeah, when you pull the needle jets out of the carb body they're there. The needle jets actually feel a bit loose. The main jets are 115's so I went to the local bike salvage yard and pulled 2 more to make sure mine haven't been tampered with. A few folks mentioned adjusting pilot jet screws, but my manual just mentions the side air screws (about 2 turns out). The carb has a pilot screw in the bottom (in the top of the bowl), and in the intake side of the throttle body. I assume these pilot jets are screwed in to seat and not adjustable?

Comment

Originally posted by Westy62 View Post
          I just had the carbs off again and found these o-rings around the needle jet

That location shouldn't have an O-ring. Maybe that's the problem... and what are side air screws? On CV carbs?? Something's not adding up here.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Westy62 View Post
            Yeah, when you pull the needle jets out of the carb body they're there. The needle jets actually feel a bit loose. The main jets are 115's so I went to the local bike salvage yard and pulled 2 more to make sure mine haven't been tampered with. A few folks mentioned adjusting pilot jet screws, but my manual just mentions the side air screws (about 2 turns out). The carb has a pilot screw in the bottom (in the top of the bowl), and in the intake side of the throttle body. I assume these pilot jets are screwed in to seat and not adjustable?
            You have to buy different value jets to replace those.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
              That location shouldn't have an O-ring. Maybe that's the problem... and what are side air screws? On CV carbs?? Something's not adding up here.
              Glad I'm not the only one who caught that...the reason that there all squished out is that you wouldn't be able to seat the jet tight until the oring broke. :?

Comment

You are describing VM carbs, not CV carbs. What year/model bike?
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Let's get our ducks in a row before we start shooting...

WHAT BIKE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT???? :shock:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Amazing!!

Just when you think a bike is bone stock (I have the title from the original owner).....You find something like this after a month of headaches.....On the left is the 115 main I picked up at the salvage yard, and on the right is the one that's in the bike (2 of them).....Someone hogged these things out to about 200!! No wonder my CV carb issue/airbox problem has plagued me!!

Running a bit rich??

I'm going to put the right jets in and be done!!!

For sale also.....(I had a chance to buy my boss's bike).

Thanks everyone for putting up with my problems, I am soooooo relieved to find this!!

Wes

Comment

Does sound like he's talking VM. I haven't had the stock CV's in years and couldn't remember if they had o-rings or not on the pilot screws. The RS carbs do. If we're talking about a bike old enough to have VM carbs then he may have a timing problem. He's confusing the needle jet for the pilot screw I think.

Comment

1980 Gs450e.....

Comment

Now that's special.

Comment

Working...
                          X