Lunging and Hesitating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunging and Hesitating

We've resurrected a 1982 GS450T, cleaning the carbs thoroughly and fixing some electrical problems, and so now it runs. But between 3,000 and 5,000 RPM, it bucks - alternately lunging and hesitating. This happens no matter how fast I roll on the throttle.

I can minimize the problem a little by putting on a little choke, but then it idles at 2,500 RPM. What is causing the problem? And is there a "better" solution?

Did you take the carbs apart and soak in carb dip? Set floats correctly? Replace o-rings in the carbs? Do a carb synch? Valves adjusted? All that's pretty basic for a carb rebuild. Where are your mixture screws set? (I'm not that familiar with the 450).

Seems as if your running way to lean. If you do a plug chop at the throttle position where your having trouble, you can confirm it. Other problems could be air leaks at the manifold boots, air box leaks, or even a malfunctioning petcock.

Comment

Tore it apart 3 times

We acid soaked the carbs, and tore them apart 3 times. We replaced the head gaskets, freed the valves, and synced the carbs. Spraying hotstart shows no more air leaks. Replaced the petcock. Both plugs are white (lean!)

What is a "plug chop?"
      Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking float height could be wrong. That's pretty much the range fuel level in the carbs has the most effect.

Comment

Floats were set

We set the floats with a gauge, so we believe them to be the right height.

Comment

A plug chop just means to ride the bike holding the throttle position where the trouble is showing up then pulling the clutch in, killing the engine and coasting to the side of the road to examine the plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jetski View Post
              We set the floats with a gauge, so we believe them to be the right height.
              Another thought, did you get the needle assembly on the slide back together in the right order?

Comment

Working...
              X