X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guess coils weren't the issue.

Dyna 3 ohm coils installed

7mm Suppression Core wires installed
    looks like hte coils were backwards (dunno if this was an issue)
    mixture screws turned 2 out.

cranks, no "pop" from a plug sparking in the chamber.

today: going to look at the air filter. plugs smell like gas but aren't "Dripping wet".

More to come...

________questions______________
    1) if i'm getting a spark, my ignition system is working and can rule out anything there.
    2) if compression is up to spec, my engine is working fine.
    3) if fuel flows into the bowls, my petcock is working correctly.

4)This sounds like the fuel is not getting to the engine, because of leaks?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Redid the compression tests. all are 130+ except 3, which is ~30.

I didn't check wet, because i doubt i was going to get 90+ more psi with it.

Would my engine not start with 30 psi in the third cylinder?

tried to start it sans the air filter, that too, doesn't appear to be the culprit.

Comment

well, the saga ends...

This morning, i decide to test my 3rd cylinder again. i didn't pull on the throttle at all when i first tested it, so i decided to test it again, for kicks and giggles. I hook it all up, turn the key and press the button. THE BIKE STARTS. wtf? my compression was 150 too... i'm not complaining or anything, but...

whatever, doing the carb syncs right now, and so far its all good.

Thank you Nabrams for all your replies.

carb syncing done, only problem, at the moment, is that it takes awhile to return to idle now.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Good news. You're on your way. You've verified the key issues. Now, slow return to idle is usually indicative of a very minor air leak somewhere. The problem is that these very minor leaks are VERY hard to detect. I say, get the bike buttoned up and ride around for 100 miles. This will give you a chance to discover any remaining issues. Carry a spak-plug removal wrench with you. If you run into problems, pull over and remove the plugs and check 'em.

Comment

I think I'm able to identify why the slow descent to idle is from.

I removed the filter from the air box, and the idle was barely enough to keep the bike up (idle was stuck at 1500 with the filter, the idle screw couldn't go any lower) and after a rev, it immediately returned to where it should be. Can a over oiled air filter be the culprit of this? I'll wash it following the advise i've found here tonite and see if i can see some normal results.

Comment

Working...
            X