Carb sync. tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync. tools

A new tool :-D:-D:-D !!! I think I may buy a carb. sync. tool just to have in case, and to save myself some money. Would a mercury or gauge type be best? Does it matter? What kind do you all have? Nothing too expensive, just for home use from time to time.

Originally posted by bubba View Post
    A new tool :-D:-D:-D !!! I think I may buy a carb. sync. tool just to have in case, and to save myself some money. Would a mercury or gauge type be best? Does it matter? What kind do you all have? Nothing too expensive, just for home use from time to time.
    I bought a Motion Pro Economy mercury tube set a while back and love it. I added some expansion chambers to it which make for much less bounce and easier use. They are hard to find on-line now as there seems to be a problem shipping mercury. The guages are also a suitable alternative. If you use multiple gauges you have to worry about synching them. If I go to gauges I'll use a single and a manifold. You'll need a wrench also. I've got about $100 invested in the gauge and wrenches. I think you could get away with maybe half that. Check out JC Whitney.

Comment

Originally posted by fgh View Post
      I bought a Motion Pro Economy mercury tube set a while back and love it. I added some expansion chambers to it which make for much less bounce and easier use. They are hard to find on-line now as there seems to be a problem shipping mercury. The guages are also a suitable alternative. If you use multiple gauges you have to worry about synching them. If I go to gauges I'll use a single and a manifold. You'll need a wrench also. I've got about $100 invested in the gauge and wrenches. I think you could get away with maybe half that. Check out JC Whitney.
      I have the same thing. I have not tried it yet, still in the box

Comment

Morgan Carbtune

I have a Morgan Carbtune Pro. I've never used any other tuner but I can't imagine how any other one on the market could be any easier to use. It's just great! I bought mine new but they do show up on Ebay on a very regular basis.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have 12' of 1/4" I.D. clear vinyl tubing. 20c/ft at Lowes.

Already have the yard stick, 10w40 oil, and wire ties laying about the ol' homestead.

Total cost of this fancy, schmancy "petroleum-based two-cylinder differential manometer", $2.40 plus tax.

Just have to balance my carbs two at a time until they're all the same. Little more work, but can't beat the price.

Comment

I had the dubious pleasure of using a Motion Pro gauge last week, I hope it was the economy version. I certainly could not see anyone passing it off as their deluxe version. I was alarmed at how easily the reservoir opened up making it VERY easy to spill mercury.

I have serious reservations about using a single gauge and a manifold, or two gauges at a time, or even a "differential manometer." If you have ever used a good balancer that shows all cylinders at the same time, you will know how adjusting one carb affects ALL the others, not just the one you are comparing it to. The adjustments are so interactive, it really helps to be able to see all four at once.

A rack of four analog gauges should work, but you do have to make sure they are all reading the same. This is where a manifold would work nicely, but you want to connect all four gauges to one source, not one gauge to the four intakes. Some of the better sets have dampers in the lines to minimize the needle bounce.

I have never seen the Morgan Carbtune in person, but by the pictures, it appears to be a quality unit.

The only label on what I use at home is "GT Carb Synchro". It is a mercury gauge with SIX columns in it. \\/ Yes, it's overkill for anything in the GS line, but I needed it for my KZ1300 and have used it on a CBX.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Next time I go to the UK I might bring back a "bulk buy" of Carbtunes & Colourtunes......

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                I thought Mercury's were unavailable any longer due to the hazards of spillage?

Comment

carbtune pro, just used it...

There has been lots of attention to this topic on this site. I was advised to get the Carbtune synchronizing tool, and bought one. I wanted 'mercury sticks' originally, because of legendary accuracy, but missed out on an auction (Motion Pro NOS kit, went for $61 @#!@), and really needed something. The Carbtune Pro kit work well for me (Morgantune), even though it cost me more than twice that price after currency conversion. I also got the pouch, and glad I did. But, there is nothing easy about setting up for sychronizing if you don't have a remote tank, but I set the gas tank on a ladder with a vinyl tube from the local hardware store to link it up (1982 GS1100G). Just turn it to prime to bypass the vacuum dependent petcock opening. Don't forget at least one big box fan on high in front of the motor to prevent overheating!

Once set up, it all went very smoothly! Starting on the right side, I adjusted number four (sync with number three). Then onto two and then one. The Morgantune Pro is a good synchronizing tool. The only problem is that the placement of the restricter tubes (the assembly required part) is critical for ideal 'bounce' and responsiveness. If I could do it all over again, I'd place the restricters at 80cm or 85cm from the carb-side of the tubes, instead of the recommended 90cm. This is because the steel slides were not quite as responsive and 'bouncy' as I think they needed to be. A minor complaint. If you accelerate to various rpms and then quickly back off the throttle to maintain the rpm, and then repeat this process at various rpms, you really get a good idea of how well they are synchronized.

I think I made the right choice, though I'd like to try the mercury variety at some point for comparison.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I have used merc sticks forever. But not any more. The carbtune is the only way to go. Worth every penny. I have NEVER been able to get the synch as accurate as I have with the carbtune. And on some bikes (my 1150 for one) the synch needs to be perfect to eliminate vibration.

Just my 2 cents....
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Pearson View Post
                      I thought Mercury's were unavailable any longer due to the hazards of spillage?
                      Only in some states. I can still have one shipped to NH. Mine is the economy Motion Pro tool. I have been able to master it, but I'll someday soon buy a Morgan.

IMHO, a synch tool that doesn't display all 4 carb values at the same time is 110% useless.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X