Popping out the exhaust when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping out the exhaust when cold

When I first fire up my bike with the choke on it pops out the exhaust quite a bit. After it warms up it goes away. All this talk about valve adj. makes me wonder if there are some valves out of whack. Is this a correct assumption? I had a Nova a few years ago and there were some valves hung up and it acted exactly the same. Maybe no connection though. Just a thought. Thanks guys 1981 GS 850 GL

too much choke. its normal. when its poping give it a little less choke. just enoph to keep the revs up.

Comment

My first instinct would be to clean the choke circuit on the carbs. Poping in the exhaust is a lean mixture sympthom. Can you tell if its one or more cylindrs making the noise?

Comment

This could also be caused by a lean condition on the pilot fuel circuits. Have the pilot fuel screws been adjusted?
        With the bike at idle, give it a quick rev to 4-5K. Does it immediately return to a steady idle or does it drop a couple of hundred rpm below the set idle and then recover? If so, again, you might try riching up the pilot fuel screws.

Comment

Working...
        X