What type of motor oil should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of motor oil should I use?

Did a search on this but didn't find exactly what I wanted. I have a 1983 GS650GLD and the book says I should use SA 10W40 motor oil. I just ordered some Belray oil and it cam SAE 10W40. The question is does it matter in these older bikes what type of oil to use? Just got this bike and just got back into motorcycles after a long time a way so I could use any help you have to offer. Thanks \\/

Originally posted by KSP View Post
    Did a search on this but didn't find exactly what I wanted. I have a 1983 GS650GLD and the book says I should use SA 10W40 motor oil. I just ordered some Belray oil and it cam SAE 10W40. The question is does it matter in these older bikes what type of oil to use? Just got this bike and just got back into motorcycles after a long time a way so I could use any help you have to offer. Thanks \\/
    Just don't use any of the energy saving oils with anti-friction additives. They are hard on the clutch. Shell Rotella seems to be popular.

Comment

I've used Castrol 10W-40 for years with good results in my Suzukis.
      78' GS1000EC
      79' GS850GN
      79' GS1000N
      79' GS1000EN
      81' GS1100EX

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000S View Post
        Ditto! :-D
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000S View Post
          Me Too. 25 years in fact.

Comment

GTX. 10-40 or 20-50 for me....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

They just had a sale on some delightful Extra Virgin Olive Oil at the Kroger so I opted out for a pure cold pressed oil this time...DELISH! :shock:

Comment

Thanks for the replys. So specifically, does the SA or SAE rating make a difference then. I really don't know the difeerences between the two types. Can I use the Belray SAE 10W40 oil since I have already bought it? I can easily go to Rotella next oil change since it is easy to find here.

Comment

Originally posted by KSP View Post
                  Thanks for the replys. So specifically, does the SA or SAE rating make a difference then. I really don't know the difeerences between the two types. Can I use the Belray SAE 10W40 oil since I have already bought it? I can easily go to Rotella next oil change since it is easy to find here.
                  Belray is great oil, a little expensive but it is motorcycle specific. Most of the oils today have higher ratings than were around when our bikes were built. Just avoid the energy star on the label and oils with anti-friction additives.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    Belray is great oil, a little expensive but it is motorcycle specific. Most of the oils today have higher ratings than were around when our bikes were built. Just avoid the energy star on the label and oils with anti-friction additives.
                    Ok sounds good. I just needed to know that the Belray would work this time. I will probably change to something I can find locally.

Comment

You must be new here... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                        You must be new here... ;-)
                        Now what would make you say that.*

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Good stuff but I run 10w40 of a different "for bikes" brand

I'm not a current believer in automobile/diesel oil in bikes as many here are, modern oils aren't the same as they used to be a decade or more ago and with current and near future EPA regulations I'm sure the oils of now and the future are better at friction reduction which is good for motor longevity but clutches work on friction. So I'll stick with a oil made with the mindset that a clutch is going to be bathed with it.

As for diesel, 2008 is the year of tighter emission standards for diesel and I'm pretty sure the top diesel oil manufacturers are going to adjust their formula to ensure top compatibility with the new engines and emission standards.

Comment

Pennzoil 10W-40, I figure it worked then why not now! Besides, that is what it says on the oil filler cap..........old school I guess...

Scud

Comment

Working...
                              X