Frame/Block Diff Vin #s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame/Block Diff Vin #s ?

Hello,Gotta 1980 850GLT been Working on for about a year now,been lurking here bout as long.My Frame Vin # is Different from the one on the Engine Block ? Different Engine You Think ? Doesn't really mean anything to Me if it is,not really going for restoration with this Big Boy.Thanks for any Info

Yep...quite possible engine swap at some point.

No big deal. if it fits, it fits.

I live in Washington state.
    Out here, they don't track or index engine # to frame VIN #.
    So engine swaps are a no-brainer.
    YSMV.

Comment

My GS1000 has different frame and engine number. Its been the same engine since it was registered 26 years ago. I've got the documents to prove it.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Yeah I dont think theyre supposed to be the same.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstood your question...?
          NO, the engine and frame #s WILL NOT match or be identical.

Engines are made on one assembly line. Frames are made on another.

Engines and frames are selected randomly, and mated together.

However, when the bikes are shipped Across The Pond, I would imagine that the engine and frame numbers ARE recorded at some point, for import/export, insurance, and bill-of-lading docs.

I DO know that some states do keep track of this stuff, presumably to deter theft, insurance-fraud, etc.
          Thankfully, Washington does not. One less hoop to jump through when resurrecting old dogs.

In fact, I bought a bare titled frame from a guy in CA. Took the signed title and Bill of Sale to DOL, they issued me a new title on the spot (no inspection).
          The seller told me this would be a headache in CA; he was amazed at how easy it was for me.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

My Ca title has both the frame #s which is the main ID of the bike & also has the engine #s listed.. SO no they did not match.

Comment

I have never seen #s match. this aint a chevy.

Comment

Working...
              X