Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Gearbox/clutch probs. and engine noise

Hi,
    I have just got my 1980 GS550E running after rebuilding it from a crate of bits:neutral:. Although the bike starts and runs Ok and the gears are fine when the engine is not running, neutral is impossible to find with the engine running and the rest of the gears are stiff. I have a reasonable working knowledge of bike mechanics and assume that this is probably the clutch but I would really appreciate any suggestions on this matter. Also, although the engine sounds reasonably quiet when ticking over a loud metalic clicking sound can be heard from the engine when under load. This sound is also intermittant when revving the engine while parked. It is hard to determine where this noise is coming from and I would have said it might be the cam chain but I have replaced that during the rebuild. So far I have not set the tappets or balanced the carbs. Again I would really appreciate any suggestions:sad:

your gonna have to check your valve clearances again, there is a break in period of 500 miles... i would ride it some more and see if the gears get any better with time.... mine were pretty stiff after sitting for 4 years...

also, if time does not help, try adding lucas motor oil stabilizer.... its pretty good stuff from what i hear....

Comment

It really sounds like you need to finish the reassembly and installation. Set the valves (maybe a source of the noise), balance the carbs (probably not a reason for your noises, but a good idea), adjust the clutch as prescribed in the manual and check the cam chain tensioner operation. Rechecking your timing might also be wise. If you can drive the bike a few miles a plug read would be a good idea. Reading plugs from an engine that has been idled and reved won't tell you anything. Idling and reving an air cooled engine for extended periods is a bad move. These babes need air movement to cool and will overheat quickly when in proper running condition and even faster if somethings not right. LOL and let us know how it goes!

Comment

thanks

Many thanks for your suggestions. I should get some time to work on the bike late next week so I will keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by Ianmc1966 View Post
          Hi,
          So far I have not set the tappets or balanced the carbs. Again I would really appreciate any suggestions:sad:
          Check your valve clearances.

Comment

DO NOT put any additives in the oil

Comment

Working...
            X