The best OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best OIL

Hello all I was wondering what the best motorcycle oil out there is and what all of you are running in you GS’s. I need to find a good non-synthetic oil to run in my GS 1000E. I also need to know where I can get it. I was running standard car oil in my bike for about 2000 miles until I was told this would not work properly with a wet cultch. Now I’m searching for a good motorcycle oil.

I use Shell Rotella-T (non-synthetic) Oil in my car, both my bikes, and if I had a Semi I'd use it in it too. 15W-40 multi grade year round. 6.50 a gallon at AutoZone, a few cents cheaper at Wal Mart. You can also find it at any truck stop. Rotella-T is what Shell calls a heavy duty universal oil, works for me. Everything you want to know. www.rotella.com.

Comment

Kendall GT1, 20/50 in the summer and 15/40 in the winter.
      You can probably get hold of it a lot easier than I can!

Comment

Castrol GTX 20/50 summer 10/40 in winter

Comment

I use a good quality motorcycle specific dinosaur oil, 10W-40 grade. AutoZone has Valvoline motorcycle oil available, which I occasionally buy. I also like to get a quart or two once in a while from my Honda dealer, and then a quart or two from my Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer -- it's just good to support the local dealers, even with a small purchase.

I buy Honda 10W40 dinosaur oil at the Honda dealer, and Suzuki's 10W40, also dinosaur, at the Suz/Kaw dealer. Any of that stuff works pretty well in my GK, just as it did in my GS850's before.

Comment

Read the article in The GS Garage on oil

Comment

Originally posted by Bekius
              Read the article in The GS Garage on oil
              http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
              Maybe yiou meant this ??? http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_oil.htm

Comment

ya thats what I ment but there is other good articls in there, like the one on oil aditives

Comment

Originally posted by Bekius
                  ya thats what I ment but there is other good articls in there, like the one on oil aditives
                  that is the most popular reading on this website

Comment

I use castrol 20w-50. i do not use "Diesel" oils of any kind, as I have seen many oil analysis' of them and they do not hold up well in an air-cooled application. Pennzoil 20w-50 would be my second choice. Both of these oils are high in moly content, and have been proven by analysis to work well in motorcycle applications. Hope my H.O. helps..... :twisted:

Comment

Chances are, the gs's would run on chicken fat. I think keeping the oil clean is a lot more important than brand or type. I have never seen a documented case of engine failure due to clean oil, only lack of it. I've tried just about every brand and type, and never could tell a discernible difference. I settled on Quaker State 15w40 semi-synthetic, only because it seemed like a decent oil for the price.

Comment

A guy a friend of mine knows bought a mini van years back. He only put Castral synteck in it. Well the when the van had 180,000 miles on it his brother blow the head gasket on the motor due to overheating. When they tore down the motor there was still hone makrs on the cilender walls. Now that is oil

Comment

"still hone marks on the cylinder walls"
                          That is why you should NOT use syn. oil until the motor is "broken in" after 30K - 40K miles.It lubes so well the rings won't seat in. 8O

Comment

oil

amsoil 10w40 all year round..................................

Comment

Re: oil

Originally posted by jonathan smith
                              amsoil 10w40 all year round..................................
                              No doubt one of the best BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                              X