No announcement yet.

The best OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i tried the synthetic route (mobile one 15w-50) but since i change oil at 2k intervals, too much $$$ to justify. I just can't extend drains on an air cooled item, just tooo much heat. :twisted:

Comment

Use a good quality (car or bike) oil and change when you should. I ahve found the car oils of today are as good as the bike oils of years ago (based on the amount the gearbox cuts up the oil, leading to gear chnage problems)

I use a 15W-60 semi synthetic at the moment, will change to a 20W-60 mineral when the semi runs out. This is for practical reasons as the car uses the mineral oil. Temperatures only get to -5c or so here in winter. If it got colder I would use a 15 or 10W oil up to 40 or 50 weight.

Oil life in the heat on the GS depends on oil cooling. The GS generates some heat, so if you dont have a cooler, change the oil a bit more often.

These are some thought from 23 years with the same bike. How oil has chnaged for the better!

Comment

I would keep away from the really cheap oil. I bought a litre of 5w30 Canadian Tire oil and it smelled burnt before I got it out of the bottle. Luckily it was for a rental car I was abusing.

Steve

Comment

Amsoil

Amsoil m/c oil isnt that expensive. If you want the very best, its worth it because it lasts twice as long and still provides superior protection. You can offset the costs by becoming a dealer and you can sell to your relatives and friends.

Comment

WOW!
            Lots of info, and good info.
            Slopoke thanks for the link.

I use either Castrol 10/40 or 20/50 in the summer.
            I've also used Pennzoil same weight, no difference in performance.
            I've had the same clutch for about 5 years, still hooks up.

As someone mentioned, "smell" the oil. I don't get any burnt smell from either when I change mine.
            I do change mine around 2000-3000 miles. depending on how hard it's been ridden.
            I also have an oil cooler.

Keith
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
              Use a good quality (car or bike) oil and change when you should. I ahve found the car oils of today are as good as the bike oils of years ago (based on the amount the gearbox cuts up the oil, leading to gear chnage problems)

I use a 15W-60 semi synthetic at the moment, will change to a 20W-60 mineral when the semi runs out. This is for practical reasons as the car uses the mineral oil. Temperatures only get to -5c or so here in winter. If it got colder I would use a 15 or 10W oil up to 40 or 50 weight.

Oil life in the heat on the GS depends on oil cooling. The GS generates some heat, so if you dont have a cooler, change the oil a bit more often.

These are some thought from 23 years with the same bike. How oil has chnaged for the better!
              Every time you Aussies mention 15W-60 oil i get very jealous.

Comment

Working...
              X