1983 Suzuki GS 550 E need timing information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Suzuki GS 550 E need timing information

I have an FSM manual that says my engine won't start because the timing is either advanced or retarded (everything else on the list has been checked and is fine). The manual even gives the specs for timing. Problem is .... what needs to be adjusted and how? The FSM manual does not explain this at all. It just says "adjust the timing". Swell ......

Does the signal relay need to be adjusted? If so, how?

This starter system is comprised of an igniter, signal relay, two coils and spark plugs.

Spark is fine (firing order and wires are properly placed), signal generator spins - it backfires and doesnt start.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification

It would be pretty tough to get your bike out of time. The signal generators are mounted on a fixed plate and unless a PO screwed with the plate then it should still be fine. The ignitor is where the shift in timing takes place. You stated in another thread if you blew through the vent lines you can get it started. That indicates carb problems to me. I know you stated you cleaned the carbs but somehow I don't think it was thorough enough. You can get away with spray cleaner but you need to run some tiny wire through the different orifices to help get the crap out of them. 12,000 miles isn't much for an '83. The bike has done alot of sitting over the years. It needs a thorough carb cleaning.

Here are a few tests you can run on the ignition system. The details are for my bike but you should get the same readings.

Here's how to check the ignitor. Remove spark plugs 1 & 2 and ground them to the motor so they will fire when they get power. With the ignitor facing you, the plug on the right side of the ignitor is where the signal generator plug fits. The two terminals on the right side of that portion of the ignitor will be pin 1 at the front and pin 2 at the back. The two left pins will be pin 3 in front and pin 4 at the back. Turn the ignition switch on. With a multitester set a the X1 ohm range put the + probe on pin 2 and the - probe on pin 1. Plug number 1 should fire. Next put the + probe on pin 4 and the - probe on pin 3. Plug number 2 should fire. If this happens the ignitor is good and the signal generators are suspect.

As for testing the pickups, signal generators, measure the resistance between the two wires on each pickup. You should get somewhere around 130-200 ohms. If the resistance is infinity or less than spec they are shot.

To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms. Check the secondary windings by placing one probe into each of the plug wires coming from one coil. Those would be 2 & 3 from one coil and 1 & 4 for the other. You should get 30-50,000 ohms for stock coils and 15-20,000 for aftermarket.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Billy,

Thanks for the test information, the stator/signal generator passed.

I am still trying to figure out how to upload photos in these posts.

try this link http://tinyurl.com/2j656k it is a photo of the exposed stator on my bike.

How do I test the CDI? Also, I have a Clymer manual for the GS 650 series 1981-1983 (Mine is a 550 E) and the clymer states the timing is self adjustable and cannot be manually adjusted. However, the FSM manual I have for my 1983 Suzuki GS 550 E strongly implies (does not explain how to) that when the motorcycle does not fire up (after checking plugs, coils, signal generator, rectifier, CDI) that the timing is either advanced or retarded and needs to be adjusted. Again, it does not explain anywhere in this manual how to do it.

The thingamiggy thing (????) in the stator (not the plate with circuits attached) can be turned using a 19 mm socket (I have not turned it but tested to see if it did) the markings on this whatever it is says this :

"IF" on the notch
      "4342"
      "1.4 TI"
      "11-20"

At this point - it is all greek to me.

Also, I was not the poster who said it would start by breathing through the carb tubes. When this thing tries to start - it backfires and I can smell starter fluid and smoke comes out when it is turning over.

Comment

let me know if the link worked :-D

Comment

The link worked. The picture is of the signal generators on the end of the crank. The stator is located on the other end of the crank and is what produces the AC current fed to the R/R. The cdi is actually the ignitor usually located under the left side panel. CDI is the wrong term for most bikes.
          [IMG]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0-ofrj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQ PQQxnJGxnQexv8uOc5xQQQJQeQla0GoGqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSH qqy7XH6gXPeG%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,480,360[/IMG]
          To post a picture you need to right click on the picture you want to post. Click on Properties then highlight the url and copy it. The just click on the mountain icon in the reply box and paste the url into the box that pops up after that.

Comment

Okay, your photo didn't post. Photobucket will work and it's free.

Comment

Working...
            X