Speedometer "grind"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer "grind"

OK...Just thought of another question I'd check on before going home and digging in to it. Once I got her running, I noticed the speedo wasn't working and there was a bit of a "grinding" noise coming from it. I did recently replace the tires but I'm 99% sure I put everything back together right. So, I'm guessing something in the speedo itself is goofed (bike has been down and the glass is broken). So, is this something I can open up and possibly fix? The housing is in tact, the tach works as well as all the lights indicating oil, neutral, high beam, gear, etc. She's just missing the clear cover over the speedo and is grinding...and not working of course.

Hunt down a good used one from fleabay...if yours is missing the glass, any fix that you may end up getting to work, will be short lived.

Comment

Do you know if it's possible to roll ahead the speedo I get used? I found one that's about 2k miles short of mine and I would prefer it accurately represents what's really there.

Comment

Why!

Just remember what's there. You don't want to buy a nice speedometer and open it up for the sake of not writing down your mileage. You'll be back in the 'same boat' if you're not careful!!:-|
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

if the noise started after you changed the wheel, you may need to check it again. i changed mine and the noise seemed to come from the gauge but was really in the front hub . now i need a worm gear for the hub.

David

Comment

Working...
          X