Can I make some float bowl gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make some float bowl gaskets?

I tore up one of the gaskets during a rebuild so I may as well replace all 4. can I just get some cork (or something) locally and cut my own? Well I did that a time or 2 on my old straight 6 Chevy vavle covers and it was perfect.

If you have a steady enough hand I don't see why not. I would use felt though, not cork.

Comment

I found rubber gasket material through a local supplier, and cut my own. The rubber I chose is typically referred to as "Buna", and will not deteriorate in contact with fuel and oil. I couldn't tell you if cork would work or not. Funny story, my first attempt at making them was with some old inner tube rubber. I tested it in a pail of gas for a couple hours, and it seemed to hold up...but about two weeks later I ended up on the side of the road with gas on top of a hot engine...kinda scary. Please make sure to test the material extensively 8-[.

Comment

How is making your own easier or better than spending the lousy four bucks each?

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's the satisfaction of hand made.
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            How is making your own easier or better than spending the lousy four bucks each?

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Well I'm on a limited budget. Yeah - $16 isn't much but it is to me. That's gas to and from work for 2 weeks if the bikes running. Might even be more once I stop that gasket leak.

I've even seen people making them out of plain old cereal box cardboard. It seems that one of the most important things is to get the thickness as close as possible to OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
              I found rubber gasket material through a local supplier, and cut my own. The rubber I chose is typically referred to as "Buna", and will not deteriorate in contact with fuel and oil. I couldn't tell you if cork would work or not. Funny story, my first attempt at making them was with some old inner tube rubber. I tested it in a pail of gas for a couple hours, and it seemed to hold up...but about two weeks later I ended up on the side of the road with gas on top of a hot engine...kinda scary. Please make sure to test the material extensively 8-[.
              Yes buna should do the trick. Its also know as nitrile. Itll have enough chemical resistance. If you want better then go with viton, but its not necissary for the aplication.

Comment

Ive used a minila folder for a gasket in a minibike case before, just to get it running. \\/ I wouldnt recommend it on your GS tho haha.

Comment

Yes, you can make your own. I've done it with cork material and it works fine. It is a bit tedious but a good sharp x-acto type knife and a straightedge speed things along. Just use material that's close in thickness to original.

Comment

Auto part stores sell sheets of gasket material which will work. Look for a material that matches the OE gaskets - it's available (I have some). Cork is not the proper material nor is cardboard.

I've made plenty of gaskets over the years but generally prefer not to when coming to things like a float bowl gasket since leakage is a serious risk. I understand the desire to just get on with a project instead of waiting for parts to come in the mail. Just use some common sense and you should be okay.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The difficult part is making the holes. I bought a punch set for this purpose about 15 years ago, and they work great. Paid for themselves right away.
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I've made mine from Busch Light boxes and gasket sealer for Briggs and Stratton crank case seals. The procedure is rather simple. Lightly coat the oil seal or the bowl with oil, press onto gasket material, and cut along the lines. Coat with gasket sealer (helps to seal up the paper board material) and there you have it. I have never used this in a gas application though, just oil.

Comment

Made a gasket for my 550 today. Took way too long but gasket turned out well enough in the end. Used gasket material I had laying around and cut the gasket out with scissors and an xacto knife. To make the holes I used a round tube which was sharpened and used as a punch.

Home made gasket on left. Hole on the bottom is not needed for my carbs so obviously, I didn't bother cutting it out.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nicely done Nessism. Felt is the way to go. Cork once tightened down can tear up on something that small. You also run the risk of cork pieces clogging things up.

Comment

Working...
                            X