Engine Noise.What could it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Noise.What could it be?

I have developed a noise from the engine at rpm higher than 4,500 I resembles the sound a cars lifters make when the car is overheated, kind of a cherp or threrping sound like the rolling of the tongue sound in the spanish language. Thats the best I can do at describing it, My first guess the valves need to be shimmed it doesnt sound throaty enough to be a rod at least not to me but I've never heard a rod knocking on a bike before. And it is not appearant at lower rpms. What do you experts think.

Re: Engine Noise.What could it be?

Originally posted by matt boruff
    I have developed a noise from the engine at rpm higher than 4,500 I resembles the sound a cars lifters make when the car is overheated, kind of a cherp or threrping sound like the rolling of the tongue sound in the spanish language. Thats the best I can do at describing it, My first guess the valves need to be shimmed it doesnt sound throaty enough to be a rod at least not to me but I've never heard a rod knocking on a bike before. And it is not appearant at lower rpms. What do you experts think.
    Mat this may be a shot in the dark but i get that from time to time and what is is for me is an exhaust leak. i remove and replace the exhaust system. I use high temp silicone on the connections. Not near the head and bingo no noise for a while.??????

Comment

Makes sense poker. Specially with me riding it in the cold like I have been. Also taking into consideration I have redlined it a couple times since the noise started and no boom. more rpms more exhast pressure hence leak hence noise I will try to slightly tighten bolts then try silicone. Thanks again poke.Hey get your rear up here on May 3rd + 4th for my Rally poke I think there could be 100 GS bikes there I wouldn't kid my favorite person on this site. Serious.

Comment

From the way you describe it, I would say it was normal.

If it sounds like crickets, it probably is normal, as this is quite common on GS bikes, especially if you have a fairing to reflect the sounds, although I am puzzled that you did not hear it before.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thats why I wear ear plugs . My engine makes a lot of strange noises but what you dont hear wont bother you !
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiXr
            Thats why I wear ear plugs . My engine makes a lot of strange noises but what you dont hear wont bother you !
            Dave
            I built speakers in my helmet and attached my walkman to my fairing! The only noises I hear our the loud ones that you should hear anhow

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiXr
              Dave
              Skip
              Strange noises is putting it mildly and a great description of what our engines sound like

Comment

Check the valves when they are due, but I would agree tat it may be exhaust seals. Mine developed this noise like a bad pinging, only some times. The exhause pipe on one cylinder was so loose it was moving around! Still went ok tho...

Comment

Could it be piston slap? I don't know if bikes develop this problem. My Dakota had it, my malibu has it sometimes, and my wifes Carens does it after a long drive on the highway.

Comment

I think you guys might have it on the exhaust being loose thing. I would think if I had valves or rod or piston issue I would have some affect on performance but I dont bike will still scream, and like I said my cold weather riding would help perpetuate a loose exhaust at the head. All the quick warming up and the quick cooling off makes for expansion and contraction hence looseness. I'm leaving for cancun in the morning but when I get back I will check this. The thing right now that is worst is the dang oil poring out around the oil sending unit, like a stuck hog I'd expect when I get back from my trip I'll have oil seeping out from under the garage door.

Comment

My RS flatslides clatter so much it sounds like half the valves are going to go through the valve cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        My RS flatslides clatter so much it sounds like half the valves are going to go through the valve cover.
                        What is in them that make that noise Bill???

Comment

Scotty,
                          The slides themselves are a loose fit. You cam hear them slapping the carb bodies.

Comment

Re: Engine Noise.What could it be?

It may be nothing more than youre now running the bike in cold weather and it isnt heating up enough to close the internal tolerances as tightly as in summer running. Air cooled engines have fairly large tolerances. GS's are like old ladies. They do everything well, but theyre going to talk about it constantly. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by matt boruff
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                              Scotty,
                              The slides themselves are a loose fit. You cam hear them slapping the carb bodies.
                              ahhh soooo

Comment

Working...
                              X