Stripped spark plug hole. Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped spark plug hole. Help!!!!!

I think that if I try to remove and replace my spark plug one more time that is going to be it!!! The threads are all messed up. What can I do besides buying a replacement head? Help please 1981 GS 850GL

Originally posted by hartleygs View Post
    I think that if I try to remove and replace my spark plug one more time that is going to be it!!! The threads are all messed up. What can I do besides buying a replacement head? Help please 1981 GS 850GL
    Go down to the auto parts store and buy a spark plug thread chaser. It will be double sided, 14 and 18 mm. Average price is $6. Just ask the counterman he'll know what you want. If you don't have a tube of grease, buy grease. Grease the Chaser and run it into the damaged threads, NOT all at once, but a little deeper each time, removing and wiping the chaser free of chips and regreasing the tool. This prevents chips from falling into the combustion chamber. Should clean it right up. If not, the next step would be one of the thread inserts. Helicoil, or their competitors.

Also buy a tube of anti-sieze compound, from now on use it on your spark plugs. It is expensive stuff but so are heads...specially since they don't make 'em anymore. Use the anti-sieze sparingly, and be very careful not to over torque the plugs.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

use a small hose about 3ft to 5ft long, stick about 2 ft in a vacuum hose and tape up the end as good as you can. put it in the spark plug hole and spin it around for a bit. this will suck up any missed shavings. be sure to suck up all the junk around the spark plug hole be for trying to chase the threads and after. so thay don't fall in when you vacuum the cylinder.

Comment

I have perfomed this tasks as Jimcor directed and had unequivocal success. I was surprised by the effectiveness of the grease collecting shavings.

Comment

sweet! i will keep this in mind if i ever mess one up...

which will probably happen someday...

Comment

Working...
          X