Dies with throttle use?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dies with throttle use?!

So I managed to get my 81' GS850G started, but just barely. It idles fine without any misfiring, but only if the choke is used. Every time I even touch the throttle it instantly dies. I assume it has something to do with the carburetors. I am about to take them off and "strip and dip" them. However before I do that I want to make sure this malady is not caused by something else. Any ideas?

Get a manual if you don't have one already. First check valve clearance. Do a compression test. Check all connections on and around the battery, R/R and stator. Make sure the spark plugs and caps are good. Then do this
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Check your boots too. Cracks will cause symptoms like you are describing. check your air filter and see if the fuel/air screw plugs are gone. If they are check how many turns out they are.

Comment

you may be flooding the engine.

go easy on the throttle, check your jets. and don't rev with the choke pulled. especialy if the engine is cold

Comment

DO YOU have the air box & filter installed ???

Comment

Sounds like the carbs need a good cleaning. Protect the rubber parts from the cleaner.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I just recently had the exact same thing happen on my '82 GS650GL. Pulled it out of the neighbor's garage after it'd sat for about five years. Got her starting and running perfect with the choke...DIED once I gave her a twist. Strip and dip is all I did and now I can ride!

Comment

Check and reset valve clearances if necessary. Clean the carbs and rebuild if necessary.Clean the petcockand fuel lines. Make sure the vacuum line to the petcock is in good shape.

If the tank is rusty, clean and seal.

90 % of poor running issues are valve and or carb. probs.. If the bike has sat for any length of time there will be crap in the fuel system. Clean it out and you'll be good to go.

Takes a bit of effort but well worth it.

Tell it when you sort it out.

cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

All of the above is good advice. You're in the typical dormant bike scenario, so you have to go through the entire "check-list" of verifications. It's almost always multiple issues with dormant bikes (I've restored at least five non-running bikes, so I speak from personal experience).
                  See this post: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=111791
                  There are many other similar posts.

Comment

I just had the same problem. Would only idle with full choke so it wasn't getting too much gas. Move the throttle and it would die. Went back a couple of hours later and it idled and reved fine. Go figure.

That's the good news. The bad news is I had just pulled and cleaned the carbs but managed to mix the float needles and seats so now one or two of the carbs are overflowing. Hopefully I can buy these locally or it will be a week or so before I'm up and running again.

Comment

Working...
                    X