Petcock vacuum line keeps coming off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock vacuum line keeps coming off!

Anyone ever had their petcock vacuum line keep coming off the petcock? The tubing's the right size. It's fairly thick tubing, but it seems pretty pliable/flexible. Is there some "stiff" vacuum line I should be using?

Right now I've got a worm clamp around the vacuum line, but that seems like a hack to me.

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
    Anyone ever had their petcock vacuum line keep coming off the petcock? The tubing's the right size. It's fairly thick tubing, but it seems pretty pliable/flexible. Is there some "stiff" vacuum line I should be using?

Right now I've got a worm clamp around the vacuum line, but that seems like a hack to me.
    Hey, what are you riding, year et al.

I'm riding a '78 750. Have not had this prob. at all but if a clamp works, don't worry about it. Ride it. Lot worse probs. for a bike our age, eh?

Comment

By rights ALL tubes, including fuel and vacuum are supposed to have circle clamps

Comment

Try a 1/4" vacuum hose.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yep, vacuum is 1/4", fuel is 5/16". I will bet you ten bucks to a doughnut he has 5/16" on both of em. hehehehe

E.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Try a 1/4" vacuum hose.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have 5/16" fuel line on the fuel line and 1/4" vacuum line for the vacuum. Give me some credit here.

Where can I find these circle clips? None of the local auto parts stores seem to carry them. I'll try Farm & Fleet tomorrow.

Comment

I use zip ties -- the clamp is not needed to create a seal. It's simply there to keep the tubing from expanding enough to slip past the fitting.

But you really ought to try a different brand or style of tubing -- some just fit tighter than others.

This problem arises because the fittings are 6mm (vacuum) and 8mm (fuel). 5/16 inch translates to 7.94mm, so you can use 5/16 tubing on 8mm fittings with no worries. In fact, this is close enough you can easily use a 5/16 wrench on an 8mm nut.

However, 1/4 inch is 6.35mm, so 1/4 inch tubing is very often a bit loose on 6mm fittings. In our metrically retarded country, it's close to impossible to find metric tubing, so we're mostly stuck using 1/4 inch. You have to experiment with different brands and styles of tubing to find one that fits correctly. I've found that fuel hose rated for fuel injection use seems to fit a little tighter and works well for vacuum fittings.

The pretty clear blue 5/16 polyurethane hose from CRC2 works well for the fuel fittings, and doesn't even need a clamp, but the 1/4 inch version doesn't work at all for the vacuum fittings.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Yep, vacuum is 1/4", fuel is 5/16". I will bet you ten bucks to a doughnut he has 5/16" on both of em. hehehehe

E.
                You owe someone ten bucks!\\/

Comment

Heh heh heh You would not have been the first. :-)

E.

I have 5/16" fuel line on the fuel line and 1/4" vacuum line for the vacuum. Give me some credit here.

Where can I find these circle clips? None of the local auto parts stores seem to carry them. I'll try Farm & Fleet tomorrow.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Let me check the garage in the AM. I ordered tons of these and I will probably never use em. They are like $.99 ea from the dealer but let me see what I have first.

Comment

Working...
                    X