New owner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner questions

I have a 82 300L that I absolutely love.

However much I love my Suzie I have one huge problem!!!!!!!

I have no idea whatsoever as to what to do with it other than riding it. I know nothing about the bike other than how to ride it and sometimes I'm not real good at that. I learned to ride the last day of March, first day of April. My husband bought me the bike in May for $650.00 from a friend of a friend. It only had 8600 miles on it when we bought it and it run. It had just had an oil change on it. It is cold natured and has to be choked everytime I start it if has sat for any amount of time or the first start of the day. I have no idea how old anything is on it or when anything else has been changed or replaced other than the oil.

I have found out it is a rare bike and can find practically nothing for it or very little and mostly small stuff at that.

Can anyone give me some advice and what I need to do to take care of it? It may have been meant as my starter bike but I would love to keep it up and running as long as possible, even when I get me a new one.

I need to know what I need to look for and what I need to keep an eye on on it.

Please help. I want to remain a driver and not become a passenger on my husbands bike.

Originally posted by girlie_rider View Post
    I have no idea whatsoever as to what to do with it other than riding it. I know nothing about the bike other than how to ride it and sometimes I'm not real good at that.

I need to know what I need to look for and what I need to keep an eye on on it.

Please help. I want to remain a driver and not become a passenger on my husbands bike.

Please sign up for a local motorcycle training course. I believe about $200 and they provide the learner bike, bike STATE riding test and helmet too. Not only will you live to enjoy your bike but you will learn alot about how to take care of it. If you husband is self -taught he will learn alot taking the course with you.

Then you can find out all you want to on this website for years and years of GS or new bike riding.

Comment

First thing I would do is try and find a manual for it. It has a whole maintenance chapter. Click here
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
        Please sign up for a local motorcycle training course. I believe about $200 and they provide the learner bike, bike STATE riding test and helmet too. Not only will you live to enjoy your bike but you will learn alot about how to take care of it. If you husband is self -taught he will learn alot taking the course with you.

Then you can find out all you want to on this website for years and years of GS or new bike riding.
        I took the course March 31st and April 1st. Got my license and have been riding on the road since June. I practiced in the parking lot of the high school where my husband teachs for a month before I got on the road. We have taken quite a few short trips around where we live. My longest trip has been around 100 miles (yesterday). My husband has been riding since he was little. He as had his license since he was in his early 20's (we are now 33 and 32). He has a 2007 Ninja 650R. The problem is that we have no idea what the spec for my bike are and are having a hard time finding any information about the bike. Several places we have been, including a local motorcycle junkyard have never even heard of a GS 300L.

I haven't found but 2 other people that mention a 300L on GSResources.

When I took the course, the scope of the lesson on motorcycle care was that it needed to occur whenever you rode before evey ride. I need to know the what and how much.

I need to know about the brakes, engine, oil, tires, wheels, etc, etc, etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Comment

Thank you chef for the website. :-D

I also need to know about the suspension on my bike.

Comment

I'd say to get a manual as has been said above.
            Maybe you can find a Clymers at an online book store for more like $24.

Then you can start with some things like:
            - chain lube
            - chain adjust
            - engine oil change
            - clutch cable adjustment
            - tach and speedo cable lube
            - take off wheel for tire change

Then later you may find yourself doing something like:
            - Replacing brake pads/shoes
            - replacing the clutch plates
            and just casually mentioning that you did that yourself and your friends will think you are bragging.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              I'd say to get a manual as has been said above.
              Maybe you can find a Clymers at an online book store for more like $24.

Then you can start with some things like:
              - chain lube
              - chain adjust
              - engine oil change
              - clutch cable adjustment
              - tach and speedo cable lube
              - take off wheel for tire change

Then later you may find yourself doing something like:
              - Replacing brake pads/shoes
              - replacing the clutch plates
              and just casually mentioning that you did that yourself and your friends will think you are bragging.
              If this were my Explorer I could do most of this myself. I know how to change the oil, the tires, the lights, wipers, plugs and wires, and other things I need to. I leave the electrical for the hubby, but can do the basics on the rest myself and will try other things if I'm in the mood. I even help the girls at work with some of this when needed. Problem here id that I don't know the specs on the bike ans don't want to mess it up or break it bad.

Comment

The choke situation has me curious. I only need to pull the choke on my 1100 when the temp is below 50. And that's only if it's in the winter and in my unheated, detached garage. Have you gone through the carbs (ie. rebuilt)? Synced them?

It's amazing how many running issues can be cleared up with a carb cleaning and sync. Plus, it's relatively cheap and easy, especially on a two cylinder bike.

I wish copierguy (Rich) was still around. He has/had a 300 that kept up with guys on much larger bikes. He could be a big help.

Brad bt

Comment

My husband says that the guy we bought claimed he had went through the carbs and hubby said that they appear clean.

I do know that I checked the oil today and it looked like it had just been poured out of the bottle into the bike and was still full. My husband and I were both surprised at that. We have put 600 miles on it since we got it in May. I have no idea how often fluids and the like should be changed.

Choke problem - when I pull the choke out, it refuses to stay out. SLides right back in to the open position. I have to put a gator clip on it to hold it out til she heats up or I have to stand there and hold it - blah. What could be the deal?

Comment

There is usually a plastic friction twist ring on the top of the choke base/mount that the knob rests on. If you have that ring, turning it clockwise increases friction. Also, if the bike is cold natured, its probable that from sitting unused a lot, the choke and idle passages in the carb have accumulated some varnish. Get a can of fuel injector cleaner and when you have a full gas tank, add the amount specified on the can per gallon of gas.
                    It should help noticably by the time you have used a tank of gas. The injector cleaner will not damage the rubber "O" rings or plastic parts in the carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by girlie_rider View Post
                    Choke problem - when I pull the choke out, it refuses to stay out. SLides right back in to the open position. I have to put a gator clip on it to hold it out til she heats up or I have to stand there and hold it - blah. What could be the deal?
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Lift up the rubber boot under the choke knob and you can adjust the tension. Lose the roach clips. :shock:
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

?

Try a small twist to the right or left when choke pulled out. My 1000g does the same thing. Usually the twist locks it into position.

Comment

I will try the choke in the morning and when I gas up tomorrow afternoon I will go to the auto parts store for the injector cleaner.

Thanks for the advice guys.

And chef, by the way, I said gator clip, not roach clip. It came with the bike. Bad PO, bad PO. When all else fails, blame the po. CHA, CHA , CHA.

Comment

My husband wants to know if Sea Foam would work in the bike to help clean out the carbs or do I need to by fuel injector cleaner per se.

Comment

Sea Foam is one of the best cleaners you can put in there. Mix it about twice as strong as recommended, then run that tank out in one day. Refill the tank to dilute the remaining mixture, run the bike long enough to get the diluted mixture in the carb bowls for overnight storage. Not sure the strong mix is good to leave in there for more than the few hours it would take to run through one tank.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X