Gas cap Seal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap Seal???

So I come out of work the past couple of days...weather in the high 80's and up...and I find an oilly film on my gas tank around the cap. Is there a seal on tha cap that can be replaced or do I have to look for a whole new cap? In the years I've owned the bike, this is the first time I've ever seen anything like that.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

On some bikes there is a small vent hole in the filler neck area that can get clogged. Check and see if you have it and that it's clear.

If it is your seal, I believe you can replace it. Check the schematic at bikebandit.com.

Comment

I wasn't able to find this seal separately, at least for the square-ish gas cap on the later models. And it's not just a simple piece of rubber with a hole in the middle, either.

You have to buy a whole new gas cap and transplant the lock guts so you can still use the same key.

YMMV, of course -- I'm not sure which models use the same gas cap as mine.

If I were you I'd carefully disassemble and clean to make sure the venting is working. And remember that gas expands quite a bit when it moves from the cool underground tanks at the station to a motorcycle tank that's baked from above by the sun and from below by the engine. You should definitely not park in the sun with a full tank. I try to fill my gas tank in the evening right after I leave work, so when I park at work the next day, at least 25-30 miles' worth of gas has been used.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Had a similar problem with my 850 here in the UK. The gas cap is subject to the MoT test here which is a yearly mechanical test. The seal on my cap was perished and compressed. I too couldn't get a replacement so ended up bying some nitrile sheet and making my own which works great. IIRC there is a small screw that holds the assembly together under the cap. Remove it and you should be able to get the old gasket out. it comes with a 2 piece metal ring that it sits around. Just remove the old gasket and trace around it on the nitrile sheet and refit.

Comment

Working...
        X