Fire Breathing Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Breathing Dragon

I've stated elsewhere. I've got two spare motors. One I got with my first parts nike, the other came in a $20 bike. An old drag bike.

The motor in the bike has started leaking oil like a harley. Maybe worse...

The hidden blessing is the motivation to build a good motor out of the two spares I've got.

With the help of this board I know I can do it. I'm depending on you guys. I really don't know what the heck I'm doing. A manual and some ingenuity are all I've got.

I know a couple of guys that saw the drag/parts bike run, and they said it went like a bat outta hell! But it was rumoured to have a spun crank. I trust the source.

I started pulling apart the motor. The head came off without any trouble. I was very happy about that. \\/

The manual says that to get the cylinders off there are three small bolts and the other big ones. I could only find two. An I missing one? There is one outside the 1 & 2 plugs, and the other is supposed to be around the tach gear somewhere, but I can't find it. Any clue?

GOOD NEWS!

The head has been polished and I suspect ported.

More good news:

I did a measurement across the jugs. 72mm!!! That makes displacement 1055!!!:-D:-D

Comment

The needles in the donor bike are Mikuni 5DL38. What does that mean? Is that stock? They are in the 3rd position out of 5.

If those are not stock needles I'll use them in my carbs with the yosh pipe.

Comment

stock 78-79 needles are 5DL36

not sure what you have. i checked the smooth bore 29's and 33's they don't use that needle either

are these stock carbs?

any pics? did you measure the inner diameter of the carb engine side?

what other jets and stuff you have in them?
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The carbs look stock. The engine isn't. Bored and ported and polished, Yosh pipe.

They had 117.5 mains, 15 pilots, 5dl38 needles. All Mikuni.

I'd just use the carbs but they were smashed on #1 by the PO. Bad transporting.

Comment

Working...
          X