Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils and Backfire (louie)

Hey all Louie here.

Putting bike back together tonight. Carbs good. Installed Dyna 3 Ignition and yes its all hooked up right (checked 3 times). When turning engine over and voltmeter hooked up to each coil I get 14 volts DC as it turns over. That looks good. I think yours truly has done something stupid with spark plug wires. Can someone please make me feel stupid again and show me how to hook up spark plug wires.

Example: Sitting on bike the coil on left goes to what and the coil on the right goes to what.

Thanks

1 & 4 should be on the left coil and 2 & 3 on the right coil if you have the primary wires hooked up right.

Comment

Oh Yeah

Sitting on bike please number the cylinders from left to right. Book states that would be 1,2,3,4 from left to right while sitting on bike so explain coil hook up that way please.

Thanks

Comment

If your wiring is the same as mine the stock wiring has an orange and white wire going to each coil. Then, the left coil has a white wire going to it and the right coil has a black and yellow wire going to it. The left coil fires cylinders 1 & 4 and the right coil fires 2 & 3.

Comment

louie

the coil on the left of the bike as you sit on it should be hooked up to the 1st and last cylinder (left to right as you sit on it) The coil on the right is hooked up to the cylinders in the middle. The cylinders fire at the same time(1&4)(2&3) so you can mix up 1 and 4 or two and three but dont mix up 1 with 3 or two with four etc. also double check the wiring to the coils from the dyna ,my dyna s ign used a black and a black with a white stripe wich can be confused easily..............skip

Comment

Okay

Okay that helped so now please verify one more thing. Sitting on bike there are 2 wires to each coil. I had to redo the wire attached to both coils so I want to verify I did not do anything stupid.

Sitting on bike. Orange and white wire goes to point on coil closest to front forks and black and/or white wire goes to point on coil farthest from forks. Right ?

Thanks,

Louie

Comment

It shouldn't really matter which way the primary wires get hooked up. Mine aren't mounted sideways so I couldn't tell you anyway. If you turned the terminals to the rear of the bike the manual shows the orange/white wires hooked up on the left terminal.

Comment

See Post

See post Louie is now DYNA 3 ignition installation expert post. Hee Hee.

Thanks to all who helped me work out the weird stuff.

Louie :P

Comment

I put a set of Andrews coils on my 1100 years ago and got some terrific ear splitting backfires and after awhile I took it to the local dealer and they found out that the coils would arc to the fuel tank causing the backfires. Sooo, I used a piece of that thick foam pipe insulation, split it where needed and put it over the backbone of the frame and around the coils and have never had a problem since (approx 17 years).

Comment

Working...
                  X