Fork Tubes??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Tubes??????

How do you fix little hair line cracks on the fork tube chroming?

it will cost me $255 bucks to get new tubes (not forks).

i have no money.

so, how do you fix this? Do you do it with a dremel tool and sand it out or something?

I'm having trouble visualizing -- can you take pictures? If you actually have cracks (???) you're in trouble...

BTW when my 650 had a little run-in with a concrete wall I got used forks in very nice shape off eBay for around $100.

Comment

Fork tubes #2

The tubes arent really cracked per say.............
      Its more like it started to rust and the chroming bubbled out and now it looks like a crack on the chroming(not an actual crack in the tubes), BUT I will post a picture of it.....

Comment

I would say they are history. If I had to use them I'd get the chrome and rust off with emory cloth and paint them if rechroming was too expensive. If its anywhere along the seal travel portion then they're trash.

Comment

It's important to keep the portion of the tube that slides past the seal as smooth and uniform as possible. Imperfections will cause leaks and/or premature seal failure. I had a little "divot" on one of my tubes which I sanded out with progressively finer sandpaper grits until it was pretty much back to a good shine. But you can only go so far before the diameter is decreased too much or you're out-of-round...

Outside the travel area you can do the same thing but you have a bit more leeway.

Comment

could you sand as best you can and if you still have divits, could you fill them with jb weld, then sand that flush?
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

yeah thats a good question...

CAN I???????

I mean therese a leak in the travel portion of the tubes.
              I bought new seals but they may leak again.

I can get them re chromed but how much is a job like that?

new tubes are 255 bucks.

I am near homelessness from a lay-off so I have absolutley NO MONEY except to eat, 5 bucks gas, and pay my cell phone.

hanging by a thread.

I use the library computers to keep in touch with people.

so whats a poor mans way to fix the tubes?

Originally posted by first timer View Post
              could you sand as best you can and if you still have divits, could you fill them with jb weld, then sand that flush?

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
                yeah thats a good question...

CAN I???????

I mean therese a leak in the travel portion of the tubes.
                I bought new seals but they may leak again.

I can get them re chromed but how much is a job like that?

new tubes are 255 bucks.

I am near homelessness from a lay-off so I have absolutley NO MONEY except to eat, 5 bucks gas, and pay my cell phone.

hanging by a thread.

I use the library computers to keep in touch with people.

so whats a poor mans way to fix the tubes?
                Hey I have a similar boat Fork tubes are one of those things that just cant be done cheap. If you gotta replace them you gotta replace them.

Comment

You can sand them down. You could fill them with resin glue (like araldite) & sand it back too.

Essentially though as long as they are minor imperfections & there are no sharp edges (sand those off) you should be ok as far as the seal goes.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                    Sounds like "first timer" has been around! For anyone else reading his suggestion, I'll say that this is a method that's been used on many a hydraulic cylinder over the years. Sandroll or the open pattern sand cloth of say 280 up to 400 grit are my choice for the finishing - degrease the affected area with alcohol or brake cleaner first and maybe dry with a few swipes of a small propane / butane torch to get any lingering oil out of any rough surface - allow a day for the JB to cure and then sand as First Timer mentions.

This is NOT for a crack in the steel tube.....only a scratch or abraded spot.!
                    A crack in a suspension tube like that.....is scrap.

Comment

cool. that gives me hope!!!

so....when it comes to sanding, do i use 250 grit paper or do i use some kind of dremal tool?

plus, yes, its only on the top surface layer of the chrome itself, not the tube.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      You can sand them down. You could fill them with resin glue (like araldite) & sand it back too.

Essentially though as long as they are minor imperfections & there are no sharp edges (sand those off) you should be ok as far as the seal goes.

Dan

Comment

ok, so what is a "sandroll" or "opn pattern"?

meaning, paper or sanding tip for an air tool?

and yes. it is only on the chrome layer and not the tubeing.

so go from 280 and finish with 400, then degrease and put JB weld?

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
                        Sounds like "first timer" has been around! For anyone else reading his suggestion, I'll say that this is a method that's been used on many a hydraulic cylinder over the years. Sandroll or the open pattern sand cloth of say 280 up to 400 grit are my choice for the finishing - degrease the affected area with alcohol or brake cleaner first and maybe dry with a few swipes of a small propane / butane torch to get any lingering oil out of any rough surface - allow a day for the JB to cure and then sand as First Timer mentions.

This is NOT for a crack in the steel tube.....only a scratch or abraded spot.!
                        A crack in a suspension tube like that.....is scrap.

Comment

Other way around.......clean, degrease, JB.....sand (coase then fine...)

Comment

Working...
                          X