Quick Shaft Drive Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Shaft Drive Question

'79 850G. The Bagger with Baggage. Like meeting a new girlfriend at 40...

The bike is hard to push around in neutral. Clutch in or out doesn't matter. Put it on the center stand and the back wheel is somewhat hard to turn. I thought I should be able to spin it fairly freely. Is this a problem?

wow, I have a project 80 850 that I've been working on and noticed the same problem today trying to roll the bike around.russell

Comment

There is more resistance in the shaft system than there is with a chain, but you should be able to push the bike around.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It isn't Uncommon for the Rear Brake pads to drag, the Two Main Reasons seem to be Calipers or Master Cylinder in need of Rebuild OR the Brake Pedal Hanging due to Crud Built up around the Actuator Shaft. I had the Hanging Brake pedal Issue on My 850 until they Knocked out and Cleaned the Splined Actuator shaft when I got New Tires this Spring. No Issues Since!:-D
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Brakes was my initial suspect. But never had a shaftie before and didn't know what to expect. It's a bear to push around, can't hardly do it while straddling the bike.

Thanks!

Comment

Mr. Goose,

Just to add to Mr. marvinsc's wisdom.... Do you have fresh 90wt gear oil in the rear differential? On the center stand, does the rear wheel have any "wobble" from side to side? Are the axle bearings in good shape? Any play in them?

I guess I'm just a worrier. 8-[

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Mr. Goose,

Just to add to Mr. marvinsc's wisdom.... Do you have fresh 90wt gear oil in the rear differential?
              Not yet. But thanks for reminding me of ANOTHER task I need to do to my "road ready" GS850... :roll:

On the center stand, does the rear wheel have any "wobble" from side to side?
              Didn't notice any...

Are the axle bearings in good shape? Any play in them?
              Welllll, the front bearings seem to have an issue, along with the torque'd forks and bent handlebars... So, add ANOTHER maintenance item...

I guess I'm just a worrier.
              Not nearly as much as I've been LATELY as I tear into this thing and find more "baggage" in the new relationship...:sad:

Comment

Working...
              X