Any welders out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ice109
    anyone know why my arc welds keep cracking? i have to put 2 to 3 layers on for it to stick
    What are you welding with what rod#, diameter and at what amp setting? Bill

Comment

tell me what you are welding and i will tell you why it`s cracking.Mark

Comment

A single phase would be a 110v line . Combining two 110v lines that are out of phase with each other results in 220v Three phase would result in 330v.

Earl

Originally posted by Clone
        Also, what is three phase power? (is that 220 with three wires?)
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well, let me check this to see if I got all the advice right.
          Gerneral fabrication, MIG is the hot ticket.
          Heavy load/material(example being a classIII or IV hitch), ARC is the tool of choice.

Now for ICE109; from one amatuer to another:
          Check your rod, is it proper for the job
          check your heat, are you penetrating
          check your technique, is the weld patchy
          check you removed all the slag and have good steel to bond to.
          The saying that "If you can't weld well, weld lots!" Doesn't work because you pile bad weld on top of bad weld. Lay a quality first bead and that is all you will need.

Comment

I disagree on MIG not being suitable for structural welds.
            When I was welding 1 1/2" plate together for a mining equipment manufacturer we were using MIG welders, being aware that the equipment itself weighed tonnes and also carried further tonnes of material I reckon MIG is strong enough.
            MIG are the most versatile welders available, they can even do aluminium welding with the correct gas and wire.
            Dink

Comment

I'm with Dink on this one. MIG is all we use at the body shop and most of that is definitely structural, especially in heavy collision. It's not nessarily what you're welding with that makes it structurally sound, but what type of weld and how you apply it, that counts. Ice, sounds like you need to crank up the heat to get the penetration needed for your welds to stop cracking.
              Doze.

Comment

Working...
              X