Replacing steering tapered bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing steering tapered bearings

How do you remove the steering bearings off a gs1000 without causing damage to the other parts? I can't seem to to pry the old ones off.

I would do the Search. Lots of good info here that saved my arse.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

without special tools, good luck

I've always just destroyed the bottom bearing, and cut the inner race apart with a dremel tool. Once you get most the way through it, a quick blow with a punch will crack that thing wide open and be much easier to pry apart. be careful though!!

Comment

I always do them with a long screwdriver and a hammer. The bearings should come right out of the top. The bottom bearing should stay on the stem and the lower triple tree. Then take the screwdriver and stick in through the neck, there should be a groove and hit hit it at that point and the race will come out. then go from the bottom up to get out the top race. Then for the bottom bearing which is most likely stuck on the lower triple, you need to get a chisel in there and hit it right to get it to move down the shaft. the farther you move it the easier itll be and then itll come off. not the easiest thing to do but it does work.

I buy new bearings anyways, even tho I did all that work to save them, its better then putting that dremel threw the steering stem.

Goodluck.

Comment

Working...
        X