Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' GS650G spraying oil, video attached

this just happened a little over half an hour ago:

The engine has about 45K on it and wasn't excessively hot (only about 10 minutes of driving), I was accelerating when it started, but not excessively hard. I had just changed the oil last week (AMS oil, 10w40 synthetic), and it was right at the max line on the window this morning.

Has this happened to anybody before? Any speculation on what might have happened?

She's coming apart tonight, I hope it's just a blown head gasket.

Video not working for me...

Comment

doesn't work

maybe its just me...but is says "this video is no longer available"

sounds scary though - best of luck!!!

Comment

Where is it leaking from?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

everytime ive sprayed oil its been the top cover seal.

Comment

sorry, youtube is taking a bit to load, it still says "processing, please wait"

the oil appears to be coming out right at middle of the headers at the front of the engine, right between the second and 3rd cylinder, pretty much right where the head meets the cylinder block, although it's pretty gummy around there right now there doesn't appear to be any missing metal. There is a large amount of pressure: I don't know where the passageway that forces oil to the cams is on this bike, but I have a feeling it might be the culprit.

Comment

upon closer inspection of the video in full screen, it has become really obvious that it's the right hose to the oil cooler that has burst open in the back and was spraying towards the engine: not the other way around, stupid me . it should be a pretty quick fix as soon as I can source the hose from the local dealer.

Grrrrrr, I wasted close the $30 worth of nearly new oil though, and my back tire will probably need a sandpaper scrub.

Comment

I'm surprised the guy running the camera didn't catch it. Cool to see that you figured it out by yourself through the video though :-D

Comment

It should help to keep Meskito and his cousins away though........:-D:-D

Comment

Working...
                  X