83 GS1100E clutch slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E clutch slip

New stock clutch, replace an old Barnett performance clutch. Had the new clutch put in at a shop. Old clutch had a first gear shake, new one was nice and smooth. The only issue now is when the bike is cold 140 or below it slips under heavy throttle, getting on the freeway or when at 60-70 and get on the gas hard. As soon as it's above 140 temp, it goes away. California bike with 15,000 miles I have about 3000 miles on the new clutch, think the problem was always there but did not notice right away

Any ideas?

Did the shop replace the clutch springs? I hope he soaked the new clutch fibers in oil before installing them. It sounds like a spring issue with the pressure plate. If he did replace the springs and if you have the old ones try putting on two of the heavy duty springs directly accross from each other.
    Last edited by chef1366; 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Did the shop replace new clutch springs? .

Exactly my thoughts. And my suspicion is "NO" on the springs. 25 year old GS springs will become "laxed" and loose their free height, not allowing adequate pressure as compared to new. When I replaced my clutch springs there was a difference of .250" between the old worn out springs, and the fresh OEM ones...

Comment

Another way to verify weak springs is to temporarily place a washer under each spring. The added tension should keep it from slipping. If this fixes your problem, it is best to replace the springs. In fact, since springs are cheap (Bike Bandit shows them for $2.29, and you need six of them), just get them and a new gasket ($7.21) and do it all at once for just under $27, including shipping. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure theres a little free play in the clutch cable when released.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
          X