Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shorter clutch cable? Good place to get clutch discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter clutch cable? Good place to get clutch discs?

So, my '83 GS1100GL needs a new clutch cable and plates. I'll start with the cable first...

I put Daytona bars on my bike. I'd like to get a new clutch cable. Can anyone give me a part number for the Suzuki cable that will work well with the shorter/lower bars? I'd rather just get one from Suzuki, but the "L" model cable has lots of extra curves since the new bars were installed. What cable did you guys with Daytona bars use?

The bike's clutch is all kinds of toasty. The plates came out in a big block and were difficult to separate. The steel plates seem to be in good shape, but there's essentially zero friction material left on the friction discs and they were stuck together pretty badly. My Suzuki-building friend said to just order Suzuki clutch discs (p/n 21441-31D00) and clean up/scotch-brite the steel plates. My local dealer wants $13.54 each for nine plates...Has anyone got a better/cheaper source for these things?

Finally, I'm having a hard time finding the part number (or even the right microfiche) for the clutch cover gasket. Can anyone let me know what part number it should be, or which fiche to look at?

Edit: never mind on the clutch cover gasket question. I found it on the crankcase cover fiche, item four, p/n 11482-49100-H17.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2007, 11:57 PM.

here and here
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

www.z1enterprises.com might be cheaper than Chapparal....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        www.z1enterprises.com might be cheaper than Chapparal....

Dan
        Yeah but you're neighbors. :shock:
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Are the EBC discs pretty decent?

How about the cable? Anyone have an idea? Would a regular "G" cable work well?

Comment

58200-45401: 'E' clutch cable
            58200-49400: 'G' clutch cabe
            58200-45210: 'L' clutch cable

The dealership was able to tell me this much, but didn't have info on how long the cables are. I'm tempted to just try a 'G' cable and see how it goes. It's most likely longer than the 'E' cable, but a good pace shorter than the 'L' cable.

Comment

If the clutch cable goes to a lever on the right side of the bike maybe an E model of the same year will have a shorter cable.
              I have the EBC clutch fibers installed and with my mods I have no slippage.

Comment

Yeah, it's a right-hand clutch. I figured all of them from '81 on were like that. Wouldn't the G be a right-side clutch, too?

Comment

I just checked and it is.

Comment

Here are both the high performance kit, and the good oem plates.

Jay
                    Speed Merchant
                    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

My G goes to the right side. I fitted Euro bars & managed to use the existing cable but it's too long really, could do with one a couple of inches shorter.

I looked on Z1's site & they list a couple of different lengths that look like they have the right ends. Hopefully your current one is the long one & the other one will work for you.....

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Great; thanks for the heads-up on the cheaper OEM friction discs. I was looking at handing over $13.54 a pop through my dealership.

I'll probably just order OEM clutch springs when I order the new clutch cable and clutch cover gasket.

Comment

salty_monk: interesting. Isn't the L frame a bit longer in the tank area than the G frame, though? Also, I think the Daytona bars sit up a bit taller than the Euro bars. I'll give the G cable a shot and see how it works.

Comment

I e-mailed APE and asked them about the part number change for the clutch plates. The original PN was 21441-49200; the new PN is 21441-31D00 according to the fiche at my dealer's site. APE still has the 49200 version listed. They said that the new part number is a different supplier and the new discs are lower-quality than the original part number, which APE still sells. They then went on to suggest I use their "extra plate high performance clutch kit." Has anyone used this? is it worth the $20 (more or less) price jump?

Comment

For the clutch cable, use one from a GS1000S. They came with short handlebars. :-D
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                              X