Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shorter clutch cable? Good place to get clutch discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now I have four different clutch cable part numbers. The '83 GS1100S clutch cable is 58200-49301 (previously 58200-49300). Anyone know if there's a listing of how long these cables are?

Comment

58200-49400: 'G' clutch cabe is 56.25" long. I'm going to measure the L cable once I get it off the bike. I figure this information may come in handy for someone else.

Comment

58200-45210: 'L' clutch cable is 57.25" long. What a ****er. I guess I'll order an E cable and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          For the clutch cable, use one from a GS1000S. They came with short handlebars. :-D
          Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
          So now I have four different clutch cable part numbers. The '83 GS1100S clutch cable is 58200-49301 (previously 58200-49300). Anyone know if there's a listing of how long these cables are?
          You want the cable from a 79-80 GS1000S, not a GS1100S. The part number is 58200-49011.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Ordered one of those. Thanks. I had already ordered the G cable when you said something about it the first time.

Comment

Bah. Prevented from putting my clutch back together cause I don't have a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter for my torque wrench. Oh well. It'll get buttoned up tomorrow.

Comment

What do you need a torque wrench for? Do you have the clutch basket off? For the clutch springs - pressure plate tighten till snug.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

*shrug* The book says fifteen ft-lbs. for the pressure-plate bolts and fifteen ft-lbs. is in the range for the case side cover, so I'll just use the torque wrench.

Comment

Got the clutch back together. I have one question...The worm-gear shaft that runs through the center of the clutch...When it's assembled, should that shaft have about half an inch of front-to-back play? Mine did. When I assembled the side cover I pushed the shaft all the way "in" and everything seems to be working great, but I wondered about the amount of front-to-back play with the side cover off.

The new clutch works great and has eliminated the clutch problems I was having. But, now, the carbs are acting up again. I swear this bike is cursed.

Comment

'79 GS1000S cable is 51.5" long. Should be perfect. However, the adjuster setup is different (adjusts in the middle of the cable and at the clutch end, not at the lever and at the clutch end). I'm sure I can get it to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X