Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikuni Rs- Broken Carb Float Pin Retainer-can It Be Fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni Rs- Broken Carb Float Pin Retainer-can It Be Fixed?

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE ENCOUNTERED THIS PROBLEM: I AM ATTEMPTING THE REBUILD OF A SET OF MIKUNI RS 38 FLATSLIDES FOR MY GS1150. WHILE TRYING TO REMOVE THE PINS THAT HOLD THE FLOAT, I BROKE OFF ONE OF THE TWO TABS IN THE BOWL.

IT APPEARS POSSIBLE TO WELD A PIECE OF METAL IN ITS PLACE AND GRIND/DRILL A NEW HOLE.

ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

With the price of a carb body you should give it a try. I have RS flatslides too. I leave the pins sticking out a little so I can get the head of a thin screwdriver under the pins to pull the them out.

Comment

Hi,

Take a look at this link http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...610&highlight= and go on down to the 10th and 13th posts.......

That's what I did, and is still holding perfectly.

Ron
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

If you want it repaired contact Rob? http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com
        Or try Quick Steel by(CarGo), or some type of epoxie puddy to build up the missing piece. Put some kind of mold release agent/WD40 on the float pin so that it doesn't stick.

Comment

I did some fancy work on mine.

When one of mine broke off I drilled and screwed a new one on. File down the broken area flat. Use a cope saw to cut a new one the proper length off a junk carb. Cut it a bit long, and file it a hair shorter than it needs to be. Use a drill press, or a drill with a level bubble to drill a srew hole into the carb, and the new post. Use a drill bit collar, or some tape to get the proper depth. Get a stainless or anodized srew to screw down into the carb. Try screwing it into the junk carb first. The aluminum will thread by itself, but it may split if the hole is too small. Clamp the new post and drill it to the proper depth. cut the head off the screw at the proper height, and screw down the new post untill the pin goes into the other post. Get a new pin off the junk carb, becouse it probably bent when the post broke. This all worked perfectly for me. I like the idea of the new post being screwed on. I hear others say that JB weld and other cements work great, but I can't see them holding for ever.

You can probably use the old post. You will still have to file the broken surfaces flat to drill and screw them back together. You will just and up with a gap and exposed screw threads.

Comment

I once had the same problem with a carb on a KZ550; had the broken piece heliarced back on, filed it to near size and redrilled the hole. Worked like a champ and only cost $20. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X