GS850 wiring diagram re: stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 wiring diagram re: stator

The diagram in my Clymer manual doesn't match what on the bike, particularly the stator. My basic question with my aftermarket stator, is, it has three black wires. In the electrical section, it looks like the 3 wires go right to the 3 yellow wires on the R/R, but the diagram section doesn't show 3 yellow. I'm a little confused as how to properly connect the stator. By the way, I checked the new stator, leg to leg, only 20V AC. What's the chances of getting a bad one right out the box? And it's from Rick's.
    thanks
    Mark

the three wires go to the three wires, that is easy. three black to the three yellow in any order. If your only getting 20 volts measure the resistance of the wires with the bike off and see if it reads about .8 ohms. Zero the leads together before you do this to get the meter at 0 ohms first or the resistance in the leads may throw this off.

I don't think their quality control is that bad, I would try another meter before taking it out. Are you sure you have the correct stator for the bike, the wrong one may fit but not work.

A real long shot is a bad magnet assembly on the flywheel but that is real rare. Some of the older bikes had alnico magnets ( or so I'm told) that can loose their magnetic properties after a hit.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Yes, it's possible to get a bad one out of the box, but it's even more unusual if all three legs are only showing 20 volts. That would lead me to suspect the test procedure. The manual specifies 5,000 rpm and 75 volts. If you were testing this near idle speed, I might expect around 20 volts.

With the engine off and the stator leads disconnected, measure the resistance on each phase. Label the leads A, B, and C. Measure resistance from A-B, B-C, and C-A. Should be about 1 ohm or less. Also measure the resistance from each lead to the engine case (ground), should be infinite, or an open circuit. If these tests pass, check your voltage again with the engine at or near 5,000 rpm.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I vaguely remember reading that some aftermarket stators will put out a little less voltage, but more current. Thicker wires or something like that. Anyway, the voltage reading at 5,000 rpm would be 45-50 volts with these stators.

Can anyone verify this, or was I hallucinating?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You did set your meter on AC volts ??

Comment

Thanks so far for the input. I did check at 5000 rpm, only 20 volts AC, yes meter was on AC setting. I'll check resistances like was mentioned. Concerning wiring diagram, the manual shows 2 stator legs going right to R/R but the third leg going through ignition switch. This would mean one leg of stator needed to go to blue/white wire then the red/white wire to R/R?
            Any thoughts? Like I say, I'm a little distrustful of the Clymer.
            thanks
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mborzillo View Post
              Thanks so far for the input. I did check at 5000 rpm, only 20 volts AC, yes meter was on AC setting. I'll check resistances like was mentioned. Concerning wiring diagram, the manual shows 2 stator legs going right to R/R but the third leg going through ignition switch. This would mean one leg of stator needed to go to blue/white wire then the red/white wire to R/R?
              Any thoughts? Like I say, I'm a little distrustful of the Clymer.
              thanks
              Mark
              Thats they way it could be also.They are all a little different.Mine was a green and white wire. Where did you get the stator?

Comment

Originally posted by mborzillo View Post
                the manual shows 2 stator legs going right to R/R but the third leg going through ignition switch.
                Are you sure??? :shock:

Any of the wiring diagrams or manuals I have seen show the third wire going to a plug under the tank, then looping back down through that same plug (on a different wire, of course) back to the r/r. Never gets to the ignition switch. That is, unless you have a '79 850. They had a headlight switch, and the third leg of the stator went to a second set of contacts on the headlight switch, then back to the r/r, so the third leg would be switched on and off with the headlight.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X