Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery light

Hello All,
    I'm new to the board and new to the GS1100E's too.
    I have an 82 that my son & I are restoring that the battery light on the instrument cluster is on. We've found the connector had been heated and a few melted wires (that were not melted through but close). We replaced the connector, removed the regulator and cleaned the contact area for a good groung and still the light came on. Is there a fix for this?
    The volt @ idle is 14.8. It seems a little high to me.
    Thanks
    Ernie

14.8 volts at idle is a bit unusual, but is not bad as long as it does not keep going up a whole lot more when the engine speeds up.
    The test for the regulator in my factory manual calls for 14.0-15.5 volts at 5,000 rpm.

As far as the light is concerned, the light does not indicate anything about the charging ability or its status. :shock:
    The light is triggered by a sensor that is inserted into a special hole in the battery that senses the electrolyte level. If the sensor is wet, the light is off. If your battery does not have that special hole, or if your sensor is missing, just connect the loose wire that will be near the battery to a switched 12-volt source like the tail light. As long as the sensor sees voltage, the light will be off. An alternative is to open the gauge cluster and remove the bulb.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve for the reply,
      Would the wire that needs to be hot be the green wire with the round male connector on it?
      If it is I know which wire it is.

Comment

I don't have a wiring diagram that gives me that information, apparently Suzuki never saw fit to equip any of the shaft-drive bikes with that light.

You can test it before you make it permanent. With the bike turned on, you should see your battery light lit. Use a jumper wire to connect it to a hot wire to see if the battery light goes out. If it does, that's your wire.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Comment

That'd be the green wire with the blue tracer. It does have the bullet end coming from the check panel, the sensor at the battery end has the receptical end of the connection. You can also buy a new sensor sometime but the run about $16.

mushman

Comment

Working...
            X