Clutch switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch switch

Apart from the risk of starting it when it's in gear, is there any other reason why I should hold the clutch lever in when I start the bike? I ask because my choke lever is broken at the moment and the only way I can hold out the choke slide, squeeze the clutch and press the starter all at the same time is by tying a strap round the clutch lever while I start the bike. Which is a pain.

Roger

If ther is another reason i am not aware of it......I disconnected mine and have not had any trouble. If you bike is wired the same as mine all you have to do is follow the wires into the head light disconnect them then re- connect them in a loop

Comment

I'm with Skip. I disconnected mine 19 years ago and never missed it. I've also noticed my Goldwing doesn't have this switch. Saved me the trouble of disconnecting it, too.

Comment

Re: Clutch switch

Normally, you must hold the clutch lever in to start the engine, so I assume you have already bypassed the clutch safety switch. The only problem I can see is that a false neutral light is possible and you could inadvertantly start the bike in gear. A simple solution for this possibility is to hold the rear brake when starting the engine. Even if it tries to start in gear, it isnt going anywhere. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TEMS
        Apart from the risk of starting it when it's in gear, is there any other reason why I should hold the clutch lever in when I start the bike? I ask because my choke lever is broken at the moment and the only way I can hold out the choke slide, squeeze the clutch and press the starter all at the same time is by tying a strap round the clutch lever while I start the bike. Which is a pain.

Roger
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Rock the bike a bit to see if it is in neutral

Comment

if you have a center stand use it as often as you can. If you have accidently left it in gear and dont have the clutch in you wont have to worry about the bike taking off on you. Also just tap the starter button quickly before you try to start the bike, that way if it is in gear you will notice it but the bike should only move a little
            skip

Comment

Bypass

Open headlight up and disconnect the yellow with green strip wires. There is one male and one female plug going to your clutch handle. Disconnect those two from the bike wire harness. Remove the wire with the male and female plugs going to the clutch handle. Use phillips screwdriver and undo the two screws holding the wire onto clutch handle. Save cover and two screws. Throw wire harness into a box of saved parts. Use small cover and 2 screws and reinstall cover on handle to help prevent corrosion of clutch handle. Now go back to headlight bucket and connect the male and female yellow with green strip wire plugs. That completes your clutch circuit in the harness and bypasses the need for clutch safety switch.

Some might argue this as not responsible. My theory is if you start your bike without checking to see if its in gear your either not paying attention or drunk which means you should not be riding anyway !!!!!!

Later,

Louie

Comment

less wear and tear on the starter?
                It would only be turning the engine not transmision during startup?

Keith
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

you can replace it with a toggle switch mounted on a plate fixed to the handlebars mounting post.....

so if you press the starter instead of the switch.... you do not destroy the clutch started wheel

Michel

Comment

KGB, there is so much drag between the clutch plates, especially with a cold engine, that I don't think it makes much difference in starter load.

Michel . . . Why replace the clutch switch with a toggle? The integral switch is the product of over-zealous safety nuts thinking motorcyclists can't tell if their bike is in neutral or not (Try riding with a bad neutral light circuit for a while. Finding neutral will never be a problem again). I personally like to start the bike with one hand for the starter button and the other for the choke.

And do you mean the starter clutch gear? Not to worry, the starter is always engaged in the gear. It's not like a car. You can press the starter button while the engine is running with no ill effects.

Comment

Working...
                    X