Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First to solve this mystery parts riddle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First to solve this mystery parts riddle??

GS-750 Guy again,
    Here is a parts question for you. Lets see if any of you long time (or even new) GS'rs out their can solve this parts riddle.
    I was in the process of removing my brake light switch from the under side of my front brake master cylinder on the handle bars of my 78 GS750EC in preparation to remove and clean the master cylinder. Of course my Haynes book fails to tell you that the internal parts are spring loaded and to be careful removing the cover plate or you will have the very small internal parts flying about the room which is exactly what happened to me.
    Fortunately, I have a piece of short napped carpet on the floor under the bike and I found what I belive to be all of the internal parts to the switch.
    In fact I found on the carpet what may be a part that does not belong to the switch and study the switch as I may, I cannot determine if the part is just a piece of floor junk or if it acutally belongs to the switch.

The parts that I do know make up the internal parts of the switch consist of a very tiny coil sping, a tiny black plastic cube with with a short post protruding from one side of the cube and the opposite side of the cube open with a post mounted in the internal center of the box, and then a small "U" shapped piece of copper. After studying these pieces I discoverdd that the small spring fits inside the box on the post and then the "U" shapped piece of copper then sits on top of the spring with the legs of the "U" fitting inside the opening of the box. I discovered that the short post protruding externally from the opposite end is what fits upward into a slot in the brake lever. When the brake lever is pulled the lever contacts this plastic post sliding the small plastic box with spring a "U" shapped copper plate forward contacting the contact bars on the electrical plate in the swith housing which completes the circuit to the brake light.
    My delima is mystery piece that I also found on the carpet which appears to be possibly made of steel. I would describe this peice as a piece of flat steel maybe 1/32" of an inch thick, approximately 1/4 to 3/8" of an inch square, with two equally spaced slots cut through the the metal creating what would look like a squared off "W" with three legs of equal length and width. The tips of the three legs of the "W" are rounded off on the ends and one of the end legs is bent 90 degrees to the other two. (A small square "W" with one leg bent 90 degrees). Try as I may I have studied and studied this part and cannot determine if it belongs to my switch or not.
    From my description above does it sound like I already have all my switch pats in place? Is this mystery piece just an extra piece of floor junk that I just inadvertantly picked up off the floor??
    HELP!![-o<
    I'M hoping that a veteran GS'r out there will know the answer to this one.
    Thanks,
    GS750GUY..Harold

Pics please...............
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Pics please...............
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Third item down:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

All the stuff you 1st described is all the parts that make up the switch. That odd-ball item actually sounds like a grounding strip that comes with some electronic (stereo)-type components.

When you put it back together, make sure you get the plastic post on the "cube" inserted into the proper slot on the underside of the brake lever or else you'll chew it all up trying to get it to work right after installation.

Comment

Working...
            X