GS charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS charging problems

I just bought a GS1100ED. At 5k RPM the voltage across the battery posts was about 13.4vt. Also the rec/reg was too hot to touch. After testing with a Fluke multimeter I thought there was a chance the rec/reg may still work. First I went thru all the wiring and cleaned and checked everything. Found lots of corrosion. Did both an atl. output test(it passed) and another charging output test, it failed again. So I looked at where the black/white wire from the rec/reg landed. It occurred to me the rubber mounted electrical panel was not a good ground. I made a short ground jumper wire from the Neg. bat. post to go to one of rec/reg mounting holes and landed the rec/reg ground wire(B/W) to the same spot. I also replaced the phillips head screws with hex head bolts. After a short warm-up it now shows 14.7vt across the battery posts at 5k RPMs. The rec/reg gets warm, as it should, but not so hot that you can't stand to leave your finger on it. Hope this helps. Jeff told me the charging issue was common to the GS1100's
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM. Reason: typing error

Nice fix !! Watch that R/R connector. Mine went into meltdown....

But I was able to eliminate it before it caused any damage....

I now monitor the charging voltage full time.....

Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-24-2007, 03:11 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Walt, the "Stator Papers" is a required read for any GS owner.

It's in the GS garage area. Hope this helps.

Comment

Black/darkened connections are a dead give away that it has too much resistance from corrosion. With these old bikes you really need to take the time and go through the entire wiring system. Fuse box included.

Comment

I did read the Stator papers. I didn't see anything about a/the poor ground caused by the rubber mounted electrical plate as a cause for rec/reg failure. A poor ground will kill the rec/reg too.

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
            A poor ground will kill the rec/reg too.
            You're right...it will.

Comment

Working...
            X