Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What switch are you using to convert 78 GS signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What switch are you using to convert 78 GS signals?

My automatic signal nonsense on my 78 GS1000 is giving me headaches. I finally got it all cleaned up and working right a couple of weeks agao, but now it has partially kicked the bucket again. I've got left signals all day long, but the right side signal very rarely works. I've had it and would like to convert to a manual switch.

Can anyone suggest a good, inexpensive switch to use that doesn't look like crap?

Thanks,
    Jay

P.S. Of course, if anyone can tell me how to fix my problem, that's cool, too.

check the ground connections. clean 'em up good. that's all i got.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

I have seen references several times where someone has bypassed the auto-cancel unit because it failed. I don't remember any mention of replacing the switch in the hand grip. You might be able to do a search of the archives to see what you can find on bypassing the unit.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I can figure out the rewire pretty easy, the only thing is, then you'll have a directional switch that needs to be held to one side to make the signal work - they'll stop working as soon as you release the switch. I'd like to find a switch that can be clicked to the side and will stay there until I click it back.

Comment

The one on my gs550 works like you described. I'm new to bikes so I'm not familiar with how yours works. But it's worth looking into. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBuster View Post
            I can figure out the rewire pretty easy, the only thing is, then you'll have a directional switch that needs to be held to one side to make the signal work - they'll stop working as soon as you release the switch. I'd like to find a switch that can be clicked to the side and will stay there until I click it back.
            Forgot about that little detail.

I would think that just swapping the entire left control housing would be easier, not just the switch. Look for one off an older bike, or one of the smaller ones that does not have the self-cancel feature. I see from your post that you have a '78 1000, so you are not going to find anything much older, but the smaller bikes would fit the description. I have an '82 650L that does not have self-cancellers. You probably have a headlight switch, right? If you want to keep that, you will have to restrict your search to '81 and older bikes.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I was diggin' these, even though they aren't for a Suzuki, they look nice and clean: http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-elect...ategory_id=2.5

I was hoping to find something a little cheaper, though.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Jay,

I just did a quick search on eBay and found several switch assemblies.
                Go to eBay, enter "Suzuki GS switch" in the search window and start browsing.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Um.. wierd...

I've got a 78 GS1000 and there are NO auto sigs or canceller. All manual.

Comment

Look for something 77+ GS750. If you can do wiring. ANY switch will work. Just unplug the control box, cut the 4 prong plug off & connect the
                    left front to left rear, same for right side & plug it back into the harness. Trace the Orange wire from the turn signal switch back to the fuse box & disconnect it, connect you t flasher their. Make sure to get the correct wire.

Comment

I've got the same issue. I bypassed the auto-cancel and cleaned up that whole mess but I still have to hold it for a signal. I had an old Harley that was like that. It's actually not that bad once you get used to it. You never forget to turn off your blinkers. I have a newer dr650 though, and I've been eyballing the switches lately. All of the switches are located in similar places and it looks like it might be an easy swap considering that they are both Suzuki products.

Comment

Working...
                      X