Used Motorcycle Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used Motorcycle Tires?

Ok - new ones are outrageously expensive. My tires on my Honda Nighthawk absolutely need to be replaced. So I went online, I also went to three different dealerships, as well as motorcycle tire shops searching for a deal.

The Suzuki dealership, literally right down the road from me, told me I could have as many of their used tires as I wanted. I was like ... seriously? The head mechanic said yes, that it was illegal to sell used motorcycle tires and they had to pay to get rid of them. Is this true?

So I went looking through their pile of tires - I found the ones I needed for my nighthawk and they were in far much better shape than the ones that are on it now. Apparently these tires were slightly used. Of course there were tires that were completely toasted, but guys - there were plently of decent used motorcycle tires here.

The head mechanic said he would charge me 10 bucks to mount them if I took them off the frame and brought them in. I have never done this before and my nighthawk is shaft driven. I might be in over my head.

Can anyone guide me with taking off the tires? Does anyone need used tires? Are using used tires with good tread an o.k. idea?

You couldn't pay me to run used motorcycle tires...

Comment

Taking off a tubeless tire is very difficult without special equipment. I did the job on one of my bikes and used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut through the metal bead section after hacking off the main portion of the tire with a utility knife. Be careful and stay away from the metal rim with the dremel. Pinching the tire in a vice helps move the sidewall away from the rim edge.

Regarding the tires themselves, only use them if they are relatively new. Old tires get hard which is not something you want to mess with.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How many people out there throw away 'perfectly good' tires, whether on a bike or any other vehicle? Those tires are in the scrapheap for a reason.

There are plenty of places to find good new tires for that Nighthawk at very reasonable prices. If you can't afford decent tires, you really can't afford to ride a motorcycle.

Not being judgemental, that's just the way it is.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          How many people out there throw away 'perfectly good' tires, whether on a bike or any other vehicle? Those tires are in the scrapheap for a reason.

There are plenty of places to find good new tires for that Nighthawk at very reasonable prices. If you can't afford decent tires, you really can't afford to ride a motorcycle.

Not being judgemental, that's just the way it is.

While I tend to agree...sometimes dealers talk people into buying parts they don't need..."you need to change the tires as a set so they match". There is a fair chance to pick up a decent front but not as likely to find a good rear.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hmm 80 bucks for a pair of new cheap tires or $50,000 in medical bills for when the old used ones go out on you at speed, you crack you head open and loose half you skin.

i agree fully with robert, don't ride if you can't afford basic things.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I know that Dennis Kirk has a wide array of tires at low prices. (I know there are other tire sites as well). Maxxiss (?) is about $40 a tire. If I had to buy a new tire, I would collect cans to get the money up if need be. Tires also have an "expiration" date. You dont know why they are there, so beware. You're well worth the price of a new tire.:-D

Comment

You will have to assume they won't hold air so you will at the very least have to buy tubes for them.

If you just ride at moderate speeds you might get away with it for a long time. I bought a wheel on ebay with a decent tire still on it and I'm still using it 3 years later. Of course it held air, is a Metzler, and had nearly full tread when I got it AND I ride moderately.

I don't have a shafty so you/re on your own getting the rear off. Can't be all that big a deal with a manual - or search it here. Just getting the shaft off the back would be different from the chain slipping off.

With the front be careful you don't damage the speedo unit is all. And don't squeeze the front brake when you have the wheel off as it will close the calipers and that can get ugly.

Comment

If there is one thing I really don't mind spending money on it's new tires. I actually get excited when I have to get a new set. It makes the bike feel like a whole new bike again. Used ones could be cupped or worse, sometimes it's hard to tell until they are mounted back on the bike. Lot's of folks are plenty happy with the Cheng Shin Brand which are not expensive at all. Get new tires and you won't be sorry.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I don't use used rubbers and I won't use used tires for the same reasons :shock:
                    I may use used parts on my bike and jerry rig things to work, but when it comes to tires and brake pads... It's new or no riding.

Comment

I agree new is always better than used. However, the "reasonable" price for replacing the set on my nighthawk is $140 for front tire plus $60 to mount it. $180 for the rear and $60 to mount it.

When I heard these prices I felt like they were asking me to bend over. I don't think those prices are reasonable.

Comment

Nope not reasonable at all.... Buy new ones online and take your wheels off and let the mechanic mount them for $10. The guys local to me charge $50/tire if they have to remove the wheels themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by runewolf View Post
                          Nope not reasonable at all.... Buy new ones online and take your wheels off and let the mechanic mount them for $10. The guys local to me charge $50/tire if they have to remove the wheels themselves.
                          Agreed!! Pull the wheels and bring them in with the new tires...here, it will run you $12-15.00 each. Plus, it gives you a chance to check bearings, final drive blocks, and other issues that would go unchecked if you have a shop do all the work. Wheel removal is easy on a shafty. Remove the the rear shocks bolts on the swing arm, loosen the top nuts and swing them up out of the way. Tap the axle out and your off and running. The front is just as easy, remove the caliper(s) and drive the axle bolt out. That's it! When putting things back together, use a healthy dose of anti-seize.

Comment

I would never ever use old rubber... I agree with the others, the unknowns are too great in dealing in used rubber, save some money, sell something you don't use anymore. I have a method, if I want something, i sell something i don't use anymore. don't risk your LIFE over a couple bucks.

Comment

What is your life worth?

Used tires are just not worth risking.

Yes you can get cheaper new tires from on line sources but just be careful they are not end line product or have been produced more than three years ago and stored as the rubber will likely have started to harden and or deteriorate.

The dealer prices quoted don't seem unreasonable to me as I just paid $123.00 Canadian for a 100/90 16" Bridgestone front and a further $30 for install. I could have saved $20 if I had pulled the wheel and took it in but in my case the bike was already in the shop. You should learn to pull your wheels to check bearings and axles so do that and take the wheels in for mounting that will cut a bunch off the bill.

You should get several thousand miles out of them so ammortized over the seasons it is fairly cheap insurance for peace of mind.

Think safety not saving a buck or two.

cheers,
                              spyug.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X