No announcement yet.

Used Motorcycle Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I should clarify my earlier post. The only used tires I have ever used have been take offs that racers use for a race or two and go to new tires. I've got GSXR wheels on my bike and good used race tires are readily available. This isn't really the case for stock GS wheels.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

True that. My grandfather worked at Firestone for years. It was the grinding of tires that ultimately led to discovering new products like road materials, shingles, even doormats made from the residue. They turned it into a separate division.

You don't see too many retread shops these days. I know they use retreads on truck tires but not so much cars. Florida had a lot of these shops at one time, they sometimes did their own work.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

For my first several years out of college, I ran retreads. They wore out quickly, and tended to leak air quickly, too. Handling wasn't good, but on a '63 Fairlane with terrible springs, handling sucked anyway.

Retreading makes a lot more sense with trucks. Fleets take better care of their tires than Joe Average does, so they are less likely to damage the carcasses. Retreads can NOT be used for steering axles, and I think that there are limits for drive axles. For trailers, most tires would be retreads. We still see the thrown treads all over.

What do our truck drivers say?
        Last edited by themess; 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM. Reason: I wrote the exact opposit of what I meant
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Retreads can be used for steering axles, and I think that there are limits for drive axles. For trailers, most tires would be retreads. We still see the thrown treads all over.

What do our truck drivers say?
          On the contrary, retreads can NOT be used on the steering axle.

When I drove back in the '70s, we only ran Michelin tires. We got about 100,000 miles out of the original tread on the steering axle, had them capped (we found a capper that would return OUR carcasses to us), ran them another 100-150,000 miles on the drive axles, had them capped again, ran them another 200,000 or so on the trailers. By the time I left there, we had a few carcasses that were approaching a million miles, on about the fifth cap.

That being said, ...
          I run on used tires on my motorcycles all the time.
          Only thing is, I have done all the using.
          The only NEW tires are ones that have just come out of the mold. As soon as they are mounted and roll on the ground, they are "used".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            On the contrary, retreads can NOT be used on the steering axle.
            Ugh! I wrote the exact opposite of what I meant. You are correct.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Ive been using second hand tyres & racer take off for the last 30 years as & when times have been hard .... no problems to date

Having said that i do have my own personal rules when looking at a used tyre ...... condition must be worth the effort of mounting it (undamaged sidewalls & bead + no existing plugs)...... tyre must not be old (i always check the date code) ....... Tread must not be squared off ..... obvious miss matches with the other tyre i'm running are discarded

The choice is yours gents

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                Ive been using second hand tyres & racer take off for the last 30 years as & when times have been hard .... no problems to date

Having said that i do have my own personal rules when looking at a used tyre ...... condition must be worth the effort of mounting it (undamaged sidewalls & bead + no existing plugs)...... tyre must not be old (i always check the date code) ....... Tread must not be squared off ..... obvious miss matches with the other tyre i'm running are discarded

The choice is yours gents
                Absolutely nothing wrong with take offs. It's always premium rubber that has even wear and are definitely well scrubbed in. It's nice getting $400-500 worth of tires for under $100. Plenty of miles left in them.

Comment

Working...
                X