fork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork question

Will the forks hold air if the fork seals are shot? I took my GS 850 in to get inspected, the dealership told me I was going to need new fprk seals soon. I thought no big problem, run the bike through the summer and then put new seals and progressive springs in over the winter. Since I've been riding the bike I've been checking the forks before and after every ride, the fork tubes are dry no oil sneaking up the sides and it is holding air pressure. Is this normal if the seals are bad?

Thank you,
    filerj

Sounds like the seals are still good but the scrapers/wipers are showing cracks.

Comment

Someone else said an inspector squaked them on fork seals. If it aint broke.... No oil on the fork tubes and holding air ? Sounds like youre OK to me.

So heres a semi related question... If your all sealed up and holding air, when the forks compress does the air pressure go up ? If so, It would seem to me if ya had one leaky seal (oil or air) this could cause some issues with handling. Maybe worse than uneven oil levels. Comments ??
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks Bonanza Dave

It seems to be handling OK, I'll check what happens to the pressure when the forks compress. Thanks for the heads up.
        filerj

Comment

Some of the bikes have a common input for air, which communicates to both legs, so if one leaks both loose pressure. but the problem is that over time, don't ask me why, the oil will migrate to one leg out of the other. Resulting in an uneven oil level. So the oil should be changed regularly so the levels are the same. If the forks hold air, they are not leaking. Ride out the season and fix the wipers and seals in the off season

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
            the oil will migrate to one leg out of the other. Resulting in an uneven oil level.

Someone has got to explain that one to me.....
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Well, maybe it is just my bike, but twice I have changed the oil on the bike since I got it, the very first time, there was half the oil in the right leg of what was in the left leg.
              The second time I changed the oil, I got 25ml more out of the left leg than I put in and yup you guessed it, 25ml less out of the right leg.

So I call it migration, it must go through the air link

Comment

Working...
              X