Starter clutch mounting bolt torque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch mounting bolt torque?

1981 GS750EX--I need to know how much to torque the three bolts holding the starter clutch to the rotor. I am going to blue Loctite them.

Also, I've been told that the crank bolt should be 100-135lb-ft. Is this correct? I'm planning on blue Loctite on this bolt also. Should I use red instead?

There was no problem with slippage on this bike. The original starter clutch shattered into three pieces because the PO replaced the original bolts with heavy-duty bolts and apparently hydrolocked it.

Okay, just checked the manual I have for an '83 GS750E (only one I have right now) and it says the torque should be between 11-14.5lb-ft. It doesn't seem like that would be tight enough to keep them from backing out. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll blue Loctite them and go for 14lb-ft.

Comment

Hope this helps. My factory manual for '79 GS1000E also recommends 11-14 ft/lb for the 3 starter clutch bolts. So I think you can trust that.
      As for thread sealants, the manual just says 1361 "Super" thread lock for the starter clutch allens and 1332 Super thread lock for the rotor bolt. My manual says 65 to 72 ft/lb on the rotor bolt.
      I have no idea if by "Super", they refer to blue or red locktite. Maybe someone here or a call to the dealer may help?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well, I have researched the posts on starter clutches here on the forum and the general consensus is blue Loctite on the clutch bolts and red on the crank bolt. Unfortunately, no one had listed torque specs except for one person, and I believe that was for an 1100 and only the crank bolt.

Thanks for the response, looks like 14's the magic number for the clutch bolts.

Comment

Working...
        X