windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield

GOT a quick question. 1982 gs1100gk windshieild is fogged up and a few small scratches in it is there a product to buff it out so it is clear or a place to by one that will bolt on to my gs faring thank you Randy

Just did a quick search on this site and found this:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Could not find any other information for new replacements from any of the normal suppliers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd go with the Micromesh product. $30 for enough to do 30 square feet? I'm going to remember that for when the headlights on the car turn yellow again.

Anyone know what to use to prevent yellowing?

Comment

GK Shield

Randy,
        If the attempt to clear/buff your foggy shield doesn't work out let me know. There's a couple of places that still make GK replacement shields ($150-$350 depending on supplier, style, etc.)

Send me a PM if you need assistance or advice!

Comment

I use kit scratch out swirl remover from wally world. It works well for the windshield but doesnt take deep scratches out.It is cheap and worth a try.I have used it on fogged up old headlight cover lenses and there was a huge difference!

Comment

eastwood.com has high quality products and has lots of products for restoration, including kits for glass and plastic resto.

(I was just there today, and picked up some header paint.)

Comment

By the way ... the fogging on your shield is most likely the hard anti-scratch coating that is starting to disintegrate.

The most common cause of this disintegration is entirely preventable. :shock:

DO NOT USE ALCOHOL-BASED PRODUCTS ON YOUR PLASTIC WINDSHIELD.

This includes Windex and other cleaners, and also Rain-X. Yes, these are wonderful products, but not for plastic windshields that have a hardened coating on them. Some spray products work very well, like Plexxus, 210 and Honda Spray Polish. I also carry a bottle of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and a wet microfiber cloth in a zip-loc sandwich bag. Soak the bugs off with the wet cloth, then polish with 210 or Meguiar's.

Also, only wipe the windshield in up-and-down strokes. If you do happen to put a small scratch in the plastic, vertical scratches will not catch the sun as easily and will be less noticeable.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X