1980 gs850g breather cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850g breather cover gasket

i recently replaced my breather cover gasket and about 2000 miles now it's starting to leak. i replaced it last year and i'm getting sick of replacing it. i have been using the stock gasket from suzuki and torqing it properly and also lighty sanding the surfaces before applying the gasket. any help you can give would be great. should i use some type of sealer?

I'm having the same problem with mine. I just put one in and used a non -hardening gasket sealer I got at NAPA. No I pet it on the bottom side only, figuring that the raised rounded center on the top side would be enough. Well for some reason it still leaks very slowly at the front corners. Haven't had a chance to clean it and run enough to find it but that'll be soon.

Comment

A neat trick I learned from an experienced mechanic is to take the paper gasket and spray both sides with silver spray paint. Sounds fishy, but it works. Any cheap silver spray paint will work. Let it dry then install it as is, no sealant or anything. Torque to spec and ride.

THIS DOES NOT WORK with cork or rubber gaskets, only "gasket material" types.

Comment

wow man that does sound fishy. more funny than fishy. well it's worth a shot. i'm just glad you didn't tell me to put on my wife's panty hose and dance in a hardware store parking lot. i hate oil leaks especially after i've had this thing apart a few times

Comment

Well, considering this guy used to be one of the main mechanics for Team Yamaha, I pretty much trust anything he has to say. He even turned wrenches for McGrath for a while.

Comment

Stop farting around with cardboard and get lifetime silicone Real Gaskets.

Here's the valve cover gasket: (Part #RG-GS850-G1 for 1979-81 GS850 with 16 bolts)

The breather cover gasket: (Part #RG-SBC-2 for all GS850)

Just remember -- these take VERY light torque. Just a wee 1/4 - 1/2 turn tweak past finger tight.

Some people with the 16 valve 1100 and 1150 engines have had trouble with the silicone gaskets (thinner and more complex shape), but they work perfectly peachily on our 8 valve engines.

To get a Real Gasket onto your engine without getting too much oil on it, first get it arranged on a couple of paper shop towels on a flat surface, then roll up the towels with the gasket inside and unroll on top of the engine. You can then carefully tear the paper towels apart and finagle the gasket into place a little more easily.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X