Front suspension issues, 1978 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front suspension issues, 1978 GS750

I have a GS750 and the forks have been 'sticky' for the last 500 miles or so. When I changed the seals on them earlier, they felt, as I recall, fine and smooth.

The problem occured when my 400 plus pound friend rode the bike on a 1200 mile tour, if that matters8-[.

Since then I have had the seals and the oil changed again, and they feel the same, kind of 'stictiony'. It does seem to affect the handling, the front wheel is slightly 'bouncy'. Enough to shake the fairing a little at speeds around 30 MPH.

Do I need new springs?

Are there bushings in the fork that need to be changed?

Anyone ever heard of this before? I have not.

TIA,

Bill

What the...

How does a 400+ pound person even get ON a motorcycle?
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Sounds like your buddy did a number on 20+ year old spring steel. I'd replace the springs with new progressive rate springs and the problem will most likely go away. Plus, the bike will handle the way Suzuki should have designed it in the first place.

Comment

He squished my poor old motorcycle.

Comment

WOW....not on my GS Should have found him a "Wide Glide" for the trip. Yeah; I know there are other HD choices that would apply, just trying to save face.......

Comment

Do you think he could have smashed my springs in 1200 miles? I have never heard of that happening before but I don't know.

Are there bushings that could have worn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Doc View Post
              Do you think he could have smashed my springs in 1200 miles? I have never heard of that happening before but I don't know.

Are there bushings that could have worn out?
              It wouldn't surprise me and I'm not trying to be mean...I've ridden bikes that have spent most of there life with two up and you can sure tell the difference in the "spongy" feel to the suspension. The main thing to keep in mind, is that even spring steel looses it's resilience factor over time. Does your bike have the air suspension assist in front? As far as bushings, they wouldn't wear that fast, no matter what the weight. The springs in the front of these bikes were at best...marginal, when new.

Comment

If you have the original springs in your bike and you actually use it much, I would put in progressive, racetech or sonic, the correct spacer for your weight, you will be amazed at the difference and the bike will be much safer, too.

Comment

In my 1100 years ago, I used Progressive Suspension springs and I thought they were good. Are they still made?

Comment

Working...
                  X