It runs! It runs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It runs! It runs!

After sitting dormant for the last 21 years my '79 GS550L roared to life today. I need to install a Honda R/R (which is on the way) and probably tweak the carbs a bit.

One question- is it normal to hear a little valve clatter when the bike idles? It isn't overwhelming but it is there none the less.

I'd like to say thanks to this group and this awesome website. It made my work a whole lot easier, quicker, cheaper and best of all better.

Congratulations!

These bikes have significant mechanical chatter naturally. Sounds normal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Doc View Post
      Congratulations!

These bikes have significant mechanical chatter naturally. Sounds normal to me.
      That's good to hear- one less thing to worry about!

The bike's only got 7,500 miles on it. Its almost new.

One other question- how does the idiot light portion of the gauge cluster come apart? I took the four screws off from the top of it but there is still some wiring holding it in place. All I want to do is replace some burned out bulbs. Do I have to take it apart from underneath?

Comment

At 7500 miles it may be due for a valve adjustment. I would check compression hot and if the numbers look low take a look inside the valve cover. usually valves are done at 600, 7500, 15000, and then every 15000 after that.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X