How to "forward" the odometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to "forward" the odometer?

I just bought a speedo off of a parted out bike since mine was shot. The miles are behind on it and I'd like to move them forward (less than 5K more) to be in line with the existing odometer. Anyone know how to do it? Is there something I can stick in a drill and just turn her loose? Or would this take forever?

Would take forever...you can pull the speedo apart and there will be a pin that holds the odo gears in place (similar to that of the float pin in the carbs) you'll have to carefully remove that pin with a needle nose pliars and reset the #gears to match that of your existing speedo. Just don't ask......................../.....///// 8-[ and no, only on two of my own that needed the same done, one forward like yours and one backward.

Comment

try a drill and see how long it takes.... if its deadly slow i would take it apart and do it

Comment

You can take off the lens to odometers and use a pencil eraser to move the digits forward.

Comment

It's simple! I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet! Obviously, you need to go out and buy another GS, attach the speedometer in question and ride until the odo matches the destination GS. :-D Most fun you'll ever have "working" on your bike! \\/

Comment

If you do want to try the drill trick, be aware that the front wheel turns about 775 revolutions per mile. Not sure about the ratio from wheel to speedo cable, but let's guess that it turns about 1000 revs per mile. If your drill turns at 1000 rpm, your speedo will show 60 mph. It will take just over 83 hours (3 1/2 days) to advance it 5000 miles.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If you do want to try the drill trick, be aware that the front wheel turns about 775 revolutions per mile. Not sure about the ratio from wheel to speedo cable, but let's guess that it turns about 1000 revs per mile. If your drill turns at 1000 rpm, your speedo will show 60 mph. It will take just over 83 hours (3 1/2 days) to advance it 5000 miles.

So if you use a dremel tool that spins at something closer to 100,000 rpm it will only take 8.3 hrs?

Comment

If you find a dremel that spins at 100,000 rpm I want one....mine only does 18,000.\\/

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
                  So if you use a dremel tool that spins at something closer to 100,000 rpm it will only take 8.3 hrs?
                  NO. That would be 100 times faster, not 10.

Even at 10,000 rpm, your speedometer would be trying to show 600 mph. No telling what that's going to do to it. :shock:

At 18,000 rpm it would be trying to show 1060 mph.

Personally, I would try to get the cable spinning only fast enough to max out the speedo.
                  On the other hand, if you bend the needle just right, it might read correctly. \\/

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could ride it for a year.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

"If you do want to try the drill trick, be aware that the front wheel turns about 775 revolutions per mile. Not sure about the ratio from wheel to speedo cable, but let's guess that it turns about 1000 revs per mile. If your drill turns at 1000 rpm, your speedo will show 60 mph. It will take just over 83 hours (3 1/2 days) to advance it 5000 miles."
                      "NO. That would be 100 times faster, not 10.
                      Even at 10,000 rpm, your speedometer would be trying to show 600 mph. No telling what that's going to do to it. :shock:
                      At 18,000 rpm it would be trying to show 1060 mph.
                      Personally, I would try to get the cable spinning only fast enough to max out the speedo.
                      On the other hand, if you bend the needle just right, it might read correctly. \\/"

LMAO. You guys have too much time on your hands.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X