'80 GS1100E won't idle, slow throttle response, low on power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS1100E won't idle, slow throttle response, low on power

Last weekend I replaced my fiber clutch plates and my clutch cable. To do so I removed the tank to route the clutch cable. To do so I had to remove the vacuum and fuel lines.

That is the extent of the fuel system I touched. I got it back together, tuned the clutch cable and started it up. It will not idle unless I have it fully choked, and even then it only revs to about 2k RPM, it used to hit 3.5 or 4 with the choke completely pulled.

If I keep giving it gas with the choke off it will stay running but there is no power and the throttle response is so bad that its pathetic. I checked the fuel line and the vacuum line, both are intact and connected. The petcock is on, before anyone asks that question .

Someone please help me out here, I am getting so frustrated [-o<

When dropping the tank that last three or so inches you might be kinking the fuel line. It can happen cause I did it.
    Also make sure the float bowl vent lines aren't kinked either.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Both good things to check, but I already did. I will check them again since I pulled the tank again but I'm pretty certain thats not it. Keep the ideas coming guys, I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Did you stir up some crap in the tank and plug the petcock screen? Obvious fuel shortage issue... also check the rear brake light, you never know! :-D

Comment

Maybe I will try by passing the petcock with a funnel or something like that to see if it is clogged.

The rear brake light works btw \\/

It is definitely a fuel shortage problem, I just cant pinpoint where. I unplugged the vacuum line from the carbs, and its definitely sucking and the line isn't clogged. So either its as simple as the screen is clogged or I have a larger problem to deal with...

Comment

I believe you are right about the petcock screen being clogged. Now, the important question, how do I fix it

Comment

Pull off the petcock by removing the two bolts. The screen pulls off of the petcock and clean it up.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This may sound silly but pull your plugs and clean them also clean your air filter and give it a try.I dont know where your from but the humidity can cause problems when a bike sits for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Pull off the petcock by removing the two bolts. The screen pulls off of the petcock and clean it up.
                  So I pulled the petcock filter, and it was squeaky clean. No debris at all. I am going to try and get a long fuel line and run it from my buddies bike to mine to see if I can isolate the problem.

Any other ideas guys?

Comment

Are all your pipes warming up?Could have a clogged pickup tube in one of the carbs.My bike did the same thing after sitting for a week. I pulled and cleaned the plugs and air filter.I has ran fine ever since.Go with the simple stuff first.

Comment

Try running with the petcock on the "prime" position. If it runs better you may have an issue with the vacuum function.

Comment

I have good fuel flow and good vacuum, I just verified that. I pulled the plugs to check for spark and they are fouled pretty badly. The stores are all closed so I will give that a shot tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by liloaty View Post
                          I have good fuel flow and good vacuum, I just verified that. I pulled the plugs to check for spark and they are fouled pretty badly. The stores are all closed so I will give that a shot tomorrow.
                          Take your plugs and clean them with a finger nail file,the waferboard kind or some 100 grit sand paper.Then spray the plug off with carb cleaner to get the sand particles off,then regap.Also CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTER TOO> I guarantee that's your problem.Then post and tell me I was right!!!!LOL!!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

The air filter is brand new, so I'm not gonna clean that

I think you are right about the plugs however, they were pretty bad and they need more than a cleaning, they need to be in the dumpster!

Comment

How was the bike running BEFORE you did the clutch work?

Comment

Working...
                              X