1983 GS650GLD fuel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650GLD fuel issue

First question, is there a trick to turning the petcock from on to prime or reserve? Mine seems to be froze and I don't want to break it which leads to my next question. When full of fuel the bike will run good but as the level of fuel gets lower in the tank it will begin to run like it is starving for fuel. What exactly would that be a symptom of? Not enough vacum to open petcock? Bad petcock? :?

Originally posted by KSP View Post
    First question, is there a trick to turning the petcock from on to prime or reserve? Mine seems to be froze and I don't want to break it which leads to my next question. When full of fuel the bike will run good but as the level of fuel gets lower in the tank it will begin to run like it is starving for fuel. What exactly would that be a symptom of? Not enough vacum to open petcock? Bad petcock? :?
    Start by replacing the petcock with a new one $40-$50 and you're done for the next two decades! After you have the new petcock in place, replace the fuel line and the vaccume line and make sure that there is not a loop in the fuel line that rises above the bottom of the tank. Lastly, if you have an inline fuel filter on the bike, loose it to the trash, your new petcock will come with the correct in-tank filter and an additional one will not be needed. I'll bet money on your problem going away.

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try. Just wanted some backup on this as I did not want to buy a petcock and still have the trouble.

Comment

It will be the best $40-50 you'll spend on your bike...and you won't come out to flooded carbs, fuel on the floor, and a crankcase full of gas.

Comment

Can you recommend a place to get one?

Comment

You can order a replacement from your local shop, or one of the online stores. I just got one from http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/ .

Comment

Almost forgot. When you get the replacement, make sure you get new seals for the two screws that bolt the valve into the tank. The existing ones will no doubt crumble when you take them off.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                X