oh crap this cant be good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh crap this cant be good

i go aut for a ride today, and its like 90+ degrees out. im riding my little 400, andafter about 10 minutes i get to a stretch of road with a 45mph speed limit from 30. so, i grab a handful of throttle, it starts to accelerate, then starts to cut out every few seconds, like im running out of gas. cant be, because i still had half a tank. i thought maybe it wasnt getting fuel, so i switched the petcock to prime to see if the problem went away, nope... i limp home, checked the plugs, they were clean. check the oil, ok a little low so i picked up some castrol gtx and went to change it. then, OUCH! i practically burned myself on the engine casing. damn this thing was HOT. now, this is all entirely very odd because yesterday i went on a 30 mile ride and it ran smooth as silk the entire time. and didnt get nearly this warm. and now after less than 4 miles, its running bad and is four million degrees farenheit. whats the deal?

I would check your fuel supply first. If it's starving for fuel it will run lean and hot. Do you have an in-line fuel filter installed? Maybe it's plugged up?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      I would check your fuel supply first. If it's starving for fuel it will run lean and hot. Do you have an in-line fuel filter installed? Maybe it's plugged up?
      no inline filter, gas in the line looks clean (clear line)

Comment

Get a new petcock. Don't mess with the old one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Get a new petcock. Don't mess with the old one.
          i dont have 67$ for a new one.

besides. this one works perfectly. i checked it under vacuum and everything and its fine.

Comment

please help i need it for tomorrow morning!

Comment

You may check the electrical, and make sure all your grounds are tight.

Comment

All right if you're petcock is fine is the fuel tank venting? Is the float bowls venting?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

still no luck! checked jhe tank, pulled the carbs apart again, checked the grounds, nothing!! PLEASE HELP

EDIT: WHOO! got it sorted. seems there was a grain of something clogging the main jet, starving the right cyl of fuel at throttle
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Well done man, congrats!

Comment

Well done! Glad you're troubles were short lived. Enjoy the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by simon_C View Post
                        still no luck! checked jhe tank, pulled the carbs apart again, checked the grounds, nothing!! PLEASE HELP

EDIT: WHOO! got it sorted. seems there was a grain of something clogging the main jet, starving the right cyl of fuel at throttle
                        That happend to me after I changed my 0-rings in the needle valve seats.It does not un good like that ,that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X